WU LibrariesWU Libraries: Department of Special Collections
Search Special Collections Website

image1image2image3image4image5image6
Click to go to Archives home page University Archives navigation bar with links to home, finding aids, forms and procedures, and WU History Click to go to Archives home page Click to go to Archives finding aids Click to go to Archives forms and procedures Click to go to WU History

Browse Digital Materials

Presented here are materials available online, which is only a small percentage of the University Archive's 300 collections.

Documents are available as: full text-pdf Adobe Icon, full-text Google BooksGoogle Books Icon, or full-text Hathi Trust HT (all patrons can access materials via HathiTrust, however a WUSTL log-in is required to download items). Some texts are also provided via the American Lives Project interface, maintained by the American Culture Studies Department. Images are available as .jpg Photo Icon, or via a link to Flikr Flickr Icon.

Please contact us for information about locating non-digitized materials, publication of images, or how to obtain high resolution files spec@wumail.wustl.edu.

Topics

Campus Architecture | Chancellors | Commencement | Catalogs | Early History | W.G. Eliot Papers | WU Magazines | School of Fine Art | Student Life | Student Groups & Publications | Women's History | WU Magazines | Yearbooks

| Other collections held at University Archives |


Campus Architecture & Photographs

Browse campus images on History Pin (explore images using google-maps)

Laying of the Corner-Stone of Busch Hall, 1900.Adobe Icon

Architecture at the Exposition, April 23, 1904. Article by Frederick Mann discussing the University Buildings and the 1904 World's Fair.Adobe Icon

Dedication of McMillian Hall, 1907. Address given by William K. Bixby, dedicating the first women's dormitory on campus. (WU Alumni Bulletin, April 1907, pages 208 - 212). Adobe Icon

Washington University - Illustrated Circular of Information, 1908. Includes information regarding architects and competition for new buildings on Skinker Road (now the Danforth Campus). [Hilltop Campus Architectural Competition, 1899, Information Files: Washington University Campus - Illustrated Circular of Information 1908]Adobe Icon

Fumihiko Maki, Investigations in Collective Form, (School of Architecture, 1964). Adobe Icon

Hilltop Campus Historic District, 1984. Washington University St. Louis, Public Relations Office, 1984 (Library call no. LD5794 .W373 1984 )Adobe Icon

Hammond Collection Photo Icon

  • Campus Construction - building foundation in circa 1901 [Photo Services - Buildings: Campus Construction]
  • Campus Construction - University Hall (renamed Brookings Hall in 1928) archway under construction, April 15, 1901. Photograph by A. Gehrwald. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall Construction]
  • Campus Construction University Hall (renamed Brookings Hall in 1928) archway with family standing among building materials in 1901 or 1902. [Photo Services - Buildings: Campus Construction]
  • Campus Construction - University Hall (renamed Brookings Hall in 1928) building materials in front of structure in 1901 or 1902. Photograph by A. Gehrwald. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall Construction]
  • Campus Construction - University Hall (renamed Brookings Hall in 1928) people in foundation in 1901. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall Construction]
  • Campus Construction - University Hall (renamed Brookings Hall in 1928) with workers standing in front of the structure while working on first floor in 1901 or 1902. [Photo Services - Buildings: Campus Construction]
  • Campus Construction - University Hall (renamed Brookings Hall in 1928) with workers standing in front of the structure while working on second floor in 1901 or 1902. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall Construction]
  • Campus Construction - University Hall (renamed Brookings Hall in 1928) with workers standing on top of structure and man in suit standing in front of the structure in 1901 or 1902. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall Construction]
  • Brookings Hall was originally named University Hall. It was renamed in 1928.
  • Brookings Hall - View of construction of Brookings Hall with workman and horses, August 11, 1900. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall Construction]
  • Brookings Hall - View of construction of Brookings Hall with foundation completed, circa October 6, 1900. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall Construction]
  • Brookings Hall - Exterior view of Brookings Hall with undeveloped landscaping, circa early 1900s. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall]
  • Brookings Hall - Exterior view of Brookings Hall with a few small trees, circa early 1900s. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall]
  • Brookings Hall - View of Brookings Hall at the end of tree-lined road, circa early 1900s. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall Exteriors]
  • Brookings Hall - Six exterior views of Brookings Hall, circa early 1900s. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall]
  • Brookings Hall - Image of Brookings Hall on postcard from circa early 1900s. Caption: "Washington University, one of the country's greatest educational institutions and especially famed for its medical school." Back labeled "Blackwell Wielandy, St. Louis; C.T. Art-Colortone, made only by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., Chicago, U.S.A." [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall]
  • Brookings Hall - Exterior view of Brookings Hall towers by photographers Sanders and Melsheimer for Washington University, circa 1914. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall]
  • Brookings Hall - View from Brookings Archway by Washington University News Bureau, 1943. [Photo Services - Buildings: Brookings Hall Archway]
  • Crow Hall - Rendering of Crow Hall by J.P. Jamieson from 1929. [Photo Services - Buildings: Crow Hall]
  • Crow Hall - Interior view of Physics Department in Crow Hall from Washington University News Bureau, October 1, 1954. [Photo Services - Aerial]
  • Crow Hall - Machine Shop from Washington University News Bureau, circa pre-1955. Caption: "Here the highly specialized apparatus required for research is built. This sort of work is highly individual, demanding ingenuity and skill on the parts of both the designer and the mechanician." [Photo Services - Buildings: Crow Hall]
  • Crow Hall - Second floor corridor of Crow Hall, looking west, from Washington University News Bureau, circa pre-1955. [Photo Services - Buildings: Crow Hall]
  • Crow Hall - Exterior view of Crow Hall with snow, circa post-1955. [Photo Services - Buildings: Crow Hall]
  • Crow Hall - External doorway into Crow Hall from 1974. [Photo Services - Buildings: Crow Hall, 74-24B/29A]
  • Crow Hall - Exterior view of Crow Hall by Peter H. Zimmerman, Washington University Photographic Services, 1978. [Photo Services - Buildings: Crow Hall, 78-368/3]
  • Crow Hall - Observatory from 1984. [Photo Services - Buildings: Crow Hall Observatory, 84-94/3]
  • Cupples Hall I - Students in Elements of Design Class in the Art Study Room, circa 1920s. [Photo Services - Buildings: Cupples I, folder A]
  • Cupples Hall I - Students in the Architecture Library, March 1929. [Photo Services - Buildings: Cupples I, folder A]
  • Eads Hall early exterior shot in the early 1900s [Photo Services - Buildings: Eads Hall]
  • Eads Hall - Student Life (newspaper) Office in 1935 with several desks and typewriters. [Photo Services - Buildings: Eads Hall]
  • Eads Hall - Student Life (newspaper) Office in 1935, view from above of several desks and typewriters. [Photo Services - Buildings: Eads Hall]
  • Eads Hall - Student Life (newspaper) Office - Students working at typewriters in circa 1930s. [Photo Services - Buildings: Eads Hall]
  • Ridgley Library was constructed in 1902 and was the first library on the Danforth Campus. It served as the library until Olin Library was opened in 1962.
  • Ridgley Library - Exterior view of Ridgley Library, circa 1924 or 1925. [Views of Washington University, St. Louis circa 1924 or 1925.]
  • Ridgley Library - View of reading room in Ridgley Library. [Views of Washington University, St. Louis circa 1924 or 1925.

[return to topic list]


Chancellor Reports & Messages

Report of the Chancellor, 1910-1911HT

Chancellor's Quarterly Message, "Who's In Charge Here?" March 1969, T.H. Eliot regarding campus protests and unrest (Chancellor Information Files)Adobe Icon


Commencement

Commencement Programs (select years) Adobe Icon

The economic and moral value of art to a community; address before the St. Louis school of fine arts commencement 1907 HT

Graduates in front of Ridgely Hall in the early 1900s. [Photo Services - Events: Commencement, 1929 and before]Photo Icon

Graduates in the Quad with Samuel Cupples Hall I in the background in 1906. [Photo Services - Events: Commencement, 1929 and before]Photo Icon

Graduate procession in front of Samuel Cupples Hall I and University Hall (renamed Brookings Hall in 1928) in 1908. [Photo Services - Events: Commencement, 1929 and before]Photo Icon

[return to topic list]


Course Catalogs & Lists of Students

Until 1921, each year's catalog included a list of students attending and their home address. After 1922 this information was published in a campus telephone book ("Chimes" or "Ternion").

Course Catalogs of Washington University, 1866-1899 and 1900-1922.Google Books Icon
Catalogs of Washington University are also available via Hathi Trust HT

Graduates of the Manual Training School (MTS), 1908. Listing all graduates from the preparatory school from 1883 - 1907. Google Books Icon

Alumni Catalog of 1917 Listing all graduates of the University from 1857 - 1916Adobe Icon


Early University History & Founding Documents (in date order)

1853, Letter from Crow to Eliot, is the earliest surviving letter concerning Washington University. A full transcription and further information about this document is available online. Adobe Icon

1854, Charter and Constitution, Washington Institute in St. Louis, the first publication from Washington UniversityAdobe Icon

1857, Inauguration of Washington University at Saint Louis, Missouri. April 23, 1857HT

1858, O'Fallon Polytechnic Institute: Its Objects and Present Condition, St. Louis. The early branch of the University devoted to engineering and mechanical / scientific study.Adobe Icon

1863, A eulogy on the late Chancellor Joseph Gibson Hoyt of Washington University, delivered at the Hall of the University, St. Louis, Jan. 20, 1863. HT

1872, Inaugural Addresses delivered before the Government and Alumni of Washington University by Honorable Wayman Crow, vice-president, and William G. Eliot, president. February 29, 1872 (Library Call no. LD 5797.5 1872) Adobe Icon

1885, Report of the Deans - Concerning the Work of the Undergraduate Department.Adobe Icon

1886, A Plan for the Further Development of the Polytechnic School.Adobe Icon

1908, A University for the Southwest, by Chancellor David Huston. Address delivered before the Commercial Club of St. Louis.Adobe Icon

[return to topic list]


William Greenleaf Eliot Papers

  • Photographs
  • William Greenleaf Eliot portrait, n.d. [William Greenleaf Eliot Personal Papers, Series 07, folder W.G.E. Portraits]Photo Icon
  • William Greenleaf Eliot's study at 2660 Washington Avenue, St. Louis, n.d. [William Greenleaf Eliot Personal Papers, Series 07, folder W.G.E.'s study at 2660 Washington]Photo Icon

Over other 150 documents related to William Greenleaf Eliot are also available online. These items were digitized in conjunction with the Missouri History Museum and Missouri's Civil War commemoration.

[return to topic list]


Magazines & Alumni Publications

University Magazines, Various titles, 1903 - present


School of Fine Art

Image Gallery: A selection of early images depicting the St. Louis School of Fine Art from the late 1800s through the 1920s.


Student Life Newspaper

Student Life, the first issue from January 1878Adobe Icon

Student Life, May 1886 HT

Student Life, December 1886HT

Student Life, March 1887 HT


Student Groups and Publications

The Black Student Guide, circa 1973. (Publications by Student Groups Collection, Box 01)Adobe Icon

Black Manifesto Collection
Manifesto (26 pages) [via American Lives Project interface]
Chronology of 1968 Sit-In [via American Lives Project interface]
Chancellor T.H. Eliot Statement, 1968 [via American Lives Project interface]

S.C.A.N. Scrapbook Collection

Theatrical and Muscical Student Groups, including Quadrangle Club, Thyrsus, and others
Online Exhibit

Thurteen Collection

Women in Architecture: A Symposium Organized by Students at the School of Architecture, Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, March 29, 1974 (digitized from original document at University of Texas)Adobe Icon

[return to topic list]


Women at Washington University

Online Exhibit: A Celebration of Women at Washington University - a beginning look into this history by highlighting some of these women and their accomplishments.

[return to topic list]


Yearbooks

Hatchet 1903, Volume 1 Google Books Icon

Hatchet 1905, Volume 2 HT

Yearbook, School of Architecture 1910-1911HT

Hatchet 1917Google Books Icon or Hatchet 1917 via Hathi Trust HT

Hatchet, 1942. Preface page | Sophomore Students | Photo Icon

1943 Hatchet Yearbook, page 140 (Architecture Society & Girls Rifle Club)Photo Icon

1944 Hatchet Yearbook, page 64 (Architecture Society) Photo Icon

1945 Hatchet Yearbook, page 19 (Senior Class)Photo Icon

Year in a Bag, 1969-70 "Life" section [via American Lives Project interface]


Other Collections at University Archives

St. Louis reference books

Graphic Facts About People in St. Louis and St. Louis County, 1947 booklet about demographics

Gerhard Papers:

Map of the Nedtherlands, dating to 1608

Eads Bridge Drawings:

Selection of images

St. Louis Car Company Collection:

From Series 01 -- PCC sales brochureAdobe Icon

From Series 02 -- Specifications for PCC construction, 1941 and 1947Adobe Icon.

From Series 04 -- Cardinal Aircraft Sales brochureAdobe Icon

From Series 05 - images from the collection are available via the free on-line service, flickr. Flickr Icon
There are less than 2% of the thousands of images available in the collection available online.

 

[return to topic list]