Due to the impacts of COVID-19, printing locations have changed, and poster printing services is currently unavailable. There are printers available in the Olin Library’s Study Cubbies area. Visit the Tech Den website for additional details.
Printing and Copying
The Libraries provide printing and scanning services to members of the Washington University community (students, faculty, and staff) using color, multi-function printers located throughout the Libraries. These devices provide print and copy services at the same price. Printing is available from all PCs in the Libraries and from personally owned computers with the proper drivers installed.
Print and copy charges will be:
- Black & white, single-sided — $0.04 per image
- Black & white, two-sided* — $0.06 per sheet ($.03 per image**)
- Color, single-sided — $0.25 per image
- Color, two-sided — $0.40 per sheet ($0.20 per image)
*Default print and copy settings are set to black & white, two-sided. Users may choose other options as desired.
**An image is all printing on one side of a sheet of paper.
Printing From Library Computers
Computers in Olin Library have one print queue installed which allows users to print to library multi-function printers. Libraries The default print queue is “\\188.8.131.52\wulib-print”. This queue can be used to print to any multi-function printer in the Libraries. This queue is set to print black & white, two-sided. Users can change printer properties to print single-sided or to print color, either single-sided or two-sided.
Printing From Personally-owned Computers in the Libraries
Printing from personally-owned computers in the Libraries is available provided you have installed the proper software which is available on the Student Technology Services (STS) website.
Multi-function printers are available at the following locations:
- Level B – near the computer area
- Level A – near the computer area
- Level 1 – near the computer area
- Level 1 – Whispers Cafe
- Level 2 – near the computer area and the west windows
- Level 3 – near the computer area and the south windows
The Libraries offers large format printing by appointment. Available paper widths are 36 inches and 42 inches and lengths can be up to 100 ft. A trimmer is available for smaller dimensions. All posters are printed on a photo-quality satin finish paper stock.
Poster Creation Tips
- Design your poster with the height or width dimension equal to 36 or 42 inches. This will match the width of the available paper roll media and enable us to print a poster that will not require trimming.
- Leave approximately 0.5 inches of white space between your content and the edges of the poster. The printer will use this space as the margin.
- Create your poster using a presentation or graphics program; PowerPoint is a popular choice. Make sure that you set the slide size to match your design dimensions. If you use PowerPoint and need to create a poster with a dimension larger than 56 inches (the maximum allowed in PowerPoint), you will need to create the poster at a smaller size and we can scale to your target dimensions when we print. Be sure to adjust the scale so that you maintain the same aspect ratio (height to width) for scaling to occur without distortion.
- Save your document in PDF format for the best results. To do this from PowerPoint, use the Save As option and change the File Type to PDF. This should retain your page size settings but you should verify this by checking the Page Size in the output PDF File – Properties window.
Pricing is based on length with a minimum charge of $25. Charges can be made to University departments (four-digit department code) or paid using Bear Bucks.
- 36 inch posters are billed at $6 per linear foot
- 42 inch posters are billed at $8 per linear foot
Directions to Poster Printing
Poster Printing is located in Olin Library Level A room A07 and is by appointment only. You can enter Olin Library through either the north or south entrance. Then take the Grand Staircase or elevator down one level to Level A. Go through doors at the east end of the landing. Turn right and walk to the Data Services office Room A07 at the south end of the floor (under Whispers Café).
Need help getting to the Olin Library? See our Maps & Directions page for further details.