Core Data Services Details
The Data Services team provides support to Washington University users across campuses, schools, and disciplines. This page describes our core data services in detail.
What We Offer
For all core services listed, we offer help desk support, research guides, resources, workshops, and 1:1 consultations.
Visit our Data Services Spaces and Tools page for more details about the related tools mentioned below.
See below for additional details.
Please fill out the Recommend a DataSet Purchase form to suggest Data Services make an addition to their offerings.
The Data Services team at the Washington University Libraries supports research in multiple disciplinary fields. Data Services offers consultations, talks, demonstrations, and hands-on workshops in relevant tools. Want to know more about what Data Services offers for your discipline? Select one of the following links (PDFs) to learn more.
The Data Services team aims to support Washington University users. The team offers a regular schedule of workshops and help desk availability. Here, users may also request a personal or customized workshop, schedule an appointment with a Data Services team member, or otherwise get help sharing data.
Data is shared and archived for a variety of reasons. The value curation adds to our University community is incalculable, as are the benefits of curation to the longevity, accessibility, and availability of said shared information.
Data Services is here to support the Washington University community with data needs. Please reach out to Data Services to get help sharing data (email).
To request a workshop, please complete and submit a Workshop Request Form. Some information to have at hand when filling out the Workshop Request Form would be:
- Requested topic
- Number of students (minimum 4 attendees)
- Requested date/time
- Specific content to be covered
Data Services at University Libraries offers several opportunities for groups, teams, departments, or labs to receive workshops in a broad array of areas. If you do not see the topic you need in the core services options below, please contact us to discuss developing a customized workshop.
Data Management and Sharing
- Data Management: Planning and Practice
- Data Management: Sharing and FAIRness
- Web Scraping with Python
- Open Refine: Cleaning Messy data
- Data Management with the OSF
Data Wrangling and Visualization
- R vs. Python
- R for New Users
- Data Viz in Tableau
- Finding, Evaluating & Understanding Data
- Introduction to GIS (ArcMap)
- Story Mapping
- Introduction to QGIS: Vector data
- Introduction to QGIS: Raster data
- Spatial Data with Python
- Mapping with R
- Mapping with Tableau
- Extending the Map Series with ArcPy
- Mapping in AGOL
We ask that those interested in an appointment with our Data Services Team complete a short questionnaire. Your responses will allow the Data Services team to better assist you and to understand your needs and the needs of the campus community.
Please complete the following questionnaire to Request an Appointment with Data Services.
Finding, evaluating, using, and arguing with data.
- Providing guidance on data sources
- Navigating tools for understanding data
- Offering expertise in data evaluation
- Outlining best practices for making an argument with data
Research Guide: About Data Literacy
Related Workshops: Finding, Evaluating & Understanding Data
Research Data Management
Organization and storage of data throughout the research life cycle.
- Data management planning and review
- Storage and collaboration tools
- Workflows and tools
- Best practices
Research Guide: Managing Your Data
Related Workshops: Data Management: Planning and Practice, Data Management with the OSF, Responsible Conduct of Research
Related Tools: R, Python, Excel, OpenRefine, SQL databases, DMPTool, Web Scraping with Python, Open Refine: Cleaning Messy data
Data Curation and Sharing
Adhere to the FAIR principles: findable, accessible, interoperable, reusable.
- Data review, running, and transformation to open formats
- Documentation review and enhancements
- Providing persistent identifiers
- Creating a metadata record to make your data findable
- Developing an archival package
- Utilizing the Washington University Data Repository
- Get help sharing your data
Research Guide: Digital Research Data Sharing at WashU
Related Workshops: Data Management: Sharing and FAIRness, Responsible Conduct of Research
Related Tools: Open Scholarship, RIS
Understand the structure, relationships, and patterns within your data.
- Guidance on appropriate tools for conducting analysis
- Consultation on workflows
- Guidance on collecting and preparing data to optimize analyses
- Solutions for data modeling
Research Guide: Interrogate Your Data: Data Analysis
Related Workshops: R vs. Python, R for New Users
Related Tools: R, Python, Tableau, Nvivo, AtlasTi
Bring your data to life with infographics or maps.
- Assisting with data capture and display (2D and 3D)
- Consult on preparing your data for visualization
- Enhancing the impact of your findings
- Discussing possible tools for visualization
Research Guide: Data Storytelling – 2D Data Visualization
Related Workshops: Data Viz in Tableau
Related Tools: Tableau, R, Python
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Analyze and visualize spatial data.
- Developing a spatial project workflow
- Identifying and creating spatial data
- Providing GIS instruction
- Informing about best practices for spatial data management
- Providing support for GIS software
Research Guide: Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Related Workshops: Introduction to GIS (ArcMap), Story Mapping, Introduction to QGIS, Spatial Data with Python, Extending the Map Series with ArcPy, Mapping in AGOL
Related Tools: ArcMap, ArcGIS Online, Story Maps, QGIS, ERDAS
Questions or concerns over sharing your data? Reach out to the Data Services Team at any time.
Have you attended an appointment or Data Services workshop? Please complete our Data Services Feedback Form.