The John M. Olin Library is the central library of the Washington University Libraries system, housing general-interest materials and collections in the humanities, sciences, and engineering.
You may search library collections in the Classic Catalog or Primo, and by exploring our Research Tools & Guides. Olin Library is also the location of many general services for the Washington University Libraries.
John M. Olin Library’s stacks, available study spaces, and Help Desk are available. Visitors are responsible for being abreast of and adhering to the university’s visitor guidance and protocols available on the WashU Together: COVID-19 Response, including self-screening with the visitor screening tool.
The Olin Library will require a card swipe with a valid WashU ID for entrance during operational hours after 6 PM, Monday-Friday, and during all open hours on weekends. Visitors to Special Collections must be pre-approved with an appointment
Distributed Libraries’ stacks, study spaces, and Help Desks are also open. See the individual library’s location pages for hours and related details.
For additional information, see the University Libraries Expanded Operations Plans for Fall 2021. See below for more details.
- Some study spaces and carrels will be available with limited capacity, with university study cubbies remaining on level 1 of Olin Library.
- Public computers at all open locations are available to faculty, staff, and students with a WUSTLKey; public computers will not be available to visitors. Printing will be available on Level 1 of Olin Library at public computers and Whispers Café, although printing will not be available on other floors.
- Microform readers will resume first-come, first served usage to view film or fische borrowed on Interlibrary Loan or housed in Olin Library.
- The Julian Edison Department of Special Collections will be open on a limited basis to researchers by appointment and will offer virtual instruction.
- Visit our Remote Resources and Guidance page for details about how to access our extensive remote services and additional digital content available during this time.
Collection Locations and Floor Plans
Find out more information on where materials are housed within Olin Library’s five floors.
Newman Exploration Center
The Newman Exploration Center offers a vibrant and dynamic space in the John M. Olin Library and showcases Washington University’s broad and varied international activities undertaken by our students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Located on the ground level of the Olin Library, Whispers Café offers an expanded coffee and tea program, more grab ‘n go options, and a great place to sit and chill.
Olin Library Amenities & Technology
Olin Library offers many welcoming spaces, technology-related services, as well as audio and visual materials for our users.
Olin Library Guidelines & Policies
Learn more about Olin Library building access and usage.
Data Services Spaces & Tools
Data Services and the Research Studio are located on Level A of Olin Library and support the data needs of Washington University.
|Departments in Olin||Phone|
|Data Services||(314) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Help Desk – Circulation||(314) email@example.com|
|Interlibrary Loan (ILL)||(314) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Research & Liaison Services||(314) email@example.com|
|Special Collections||(314) firstname.lastname@example.org|
Directions to Olin Library
Curious about the scripts displayed on the Olin Library plaza? We’ve created a PDF guide about them.