The Gaylord Music Library is currently closed to visitors. We encourage researchers to contact the Gaylord Music Library by phone at (314) 935-5563 or via email (WU-LIBMusic@wusm.wustl.edu) for further details.
- All Danforth Campus circulating physical materials are available via a curbside pickup-style service at Olin Library. See our Curbside Pickup page for full details.
- Visit our Remote Resources and Guidance page for details about how to access our extensive remote services and additional digital content available during this time.
- Visit our COVID-19 Updates and Resources page for additional information.
The Gaylord Music Library collection seeks to meet the academic music information needs of the Washington University community by providing a comprehensive collection of music books, scores, sound recordings, videos & DVDs, and research collections developed to support faculty and student projects.
The Music Library honors General Clifford A. Gaylord who was, until his death in 1952, a member of the Washington University Corporation. With the completion of the Gaylord building in 1960, the music library found a new home and has since developed into a major resource supporting research through master’s and doctoral level programs.
Particular strengths include:
- Basic and research collections in music history and theory
- Major composers’ complete editions
- Monumental collections
- Study and playing scores
- Chamber music with instrumental parts
Strong holdings are in Americana, Festschriften, early music, opera, and music literature.
Further research information
- Special Collections Manuscripts Information
- Hints for Effective and Efficient searching
- Borrowing books and scores from MOBIUS and InterLibrary Loan
- Video Tutorials
Using the West Campus Collection
The LP collection and other, lesser-used materials are housed at the West Campus Library. Materials at West Campus may be requested by using the Request button in the catalog and sent to one of the Libraries located on the Danforth campus for use.
Music Special Collections
The Gaylord Music Library houses archival manuscripts for many composers active in and around St. Louis as well as those composers with connections to Washington University. The library also has collections that include Mozart and Beethoven’s first and early editions, facsimiles of late-17th through early-20th century composers, and many other unique collections.
Directions to Gaylord Music Library
6500 Forsyth Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63130
Phone: (314) 935-5563
On the first Friday of each month, Bernard Becker Medical Library explores themed picks from the library's renowned archival and…
Join Curator Skye Lacerte for a visual tour of cartoonist Rose O'Neill's work.