Book Information -- Biology
Link to top Life
- Global Books in Print
- Records of in-print, out-of-print, and forthcoming books from over 44,000 North American publishers; updated quarterly. More
Dissertations - How to search for and request.
- OCLC FirstSearch Databases which include Book
- Information about books, journal titles, videos, and
materials in other formats owned by more than 25,000 U.S. and
foreign libraries. DOES NOT INCLUDE JOURNAL ARTICLES. More
info. Worldcat.org (simpler, free interface to the same database)
- Includes citations to papers from every congress, conference,
exposition, workshop,symposium, and meeting received at The
British Library from October 1993+. More
- Includes citations to the congresses, meetings, etc., from
PapersFirst, 1993+. More
- Dissertations & Theses (ProQuest) (1861 - ) More
U.S. Government Printing Office Catalog, 1976+ . More
info. Also available: Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (CGP).
- Publishers' Web Sites
- For book tables of contents, information about the newest
books & journals, etc.
- Online Bookstores - short, incomplete list
- Natural History Book
Service, Large online environmental bookstore
- Amazon.com Books
- Barnes &
Directory /American Booksellers Association
- Directtextbook.com -
new and used college textbooks
- Powell's Books - new and used bookstore in Portland, Oregon
- Book "Search Engines" - searching multiple sites,
price comparisons, etc.
- Books and Book
- Searches various online book sellers and displays price
- Antiquarian booksellers - for out-of-print or rare
- Advanced Book
- Includes inventories of over 700 bookstores
- Bibliofind (Amazon)
- Selected Library Catalogs
- Search several Libraries' Catalogs at the same time; options include WU, Linda Hall (Kansas City), National Agricultural, Kew Gardens, New York Botanical Garden, American Museum of Natural History, St. Louis Research Library Consortium (which included Missouri Botanical Garden) and others
- Washington University
- Becker Medical Library (Washington Univ.) Catalog
- Library of Congress Web
- Missouri Botanical
Garden Library Catalog
- New York Botanical Garden Library
- NLM LocatorPlus
National Library of Medicine Catalog
- NLM Catalog is also available in the Search Pulldown menu in Entrez.
- IndexCat (1880-1961)
Online version of the Index-Catalogue of the Library of the Surgeon-General's Office. More info
Catalog (National Agricultural Library catalog and journal
- CISTI - Database produced by Canada Institute for Scientific and
Technical Information. Materials in the sciences, technology, and
- The European Library -- searches the content of European national libraries.
of Other Libraries
of Library of Congress call number system
- Recommend a
book purchase for Washington University Libraries
- Request a book
loan via Interlibrary Loan. Check Catalog and Mobius
catalog first for fastest results! If available, requesting from MOBIUS is better than ILL.
- Full Text Books on the WWW - a few sources -
searching for specific titles in various internet indexes and
searchengines may yield additional sources.
- eBooks & Online Books -- many general sources
- Digital Commons @ Becker W.U. Becker Medical
Library institutional digital repository
- Washington University Open Scholarship - digital repository on Danforth Campus
Library of Canada Electronic Collection by title, subject or
- Alex; Catalog of
- Biodiversity Heritage Library - digitization projects from Smithsonian Institution Libraries and the National Museum of Natural History, American Museum of Natural History, Harvard Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University Botany Libraries, Missouri Botanical Garden, Natural History Museum (London), New York Botanical Garden, and Royal Botanic Gardens (Kew).
Historical Literature of Agriculture - Searchable full text of monographs, 1850-1950, from
Cornell University Library; subjects include "agricultural
economics, agricultural engineering, animal science, crops and
their protection, food science, forestry, human nutrition, rural
sociology, and soil science."
- Cornell Library
Digital Collections - Several collections in math, agriculture, American history,
- ESP Electronic Scholarly
Publishing - Specializing on books in classical genetics, and the history
of science, genetics, computational biology, and genome
- HEARTH - Home Economics archive, 1850-1950, from Cornell
- National Academy Press - Full text of many books from early 1990's to present is
searchable and readable at this site.
Library EBook Resources - Consumer health, healthcare administration and medical books
available to everyone; also links to free NetLibrary titles; from
Health Library at Stanford [no fee registration required].
Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center Publications
- Classics in the History of Psychology, developed by Christopher D. Green,York University, Toronto, Canada
- Some online dissertation sources
of California Press eScholarship Editions
available via PubMed search