I hereby notify Washington University’s Gaylord Music Library Special Collections of my intent to quote from or publish the following materials that are part of the Gaylord Music Library: (State specifically and in detail the manuscript materials or portions of manuscript material you intend to quote from or publish. If any images or transcriptions of manuscript collection materials are to be used as illustrations, provide an itemized list. Use an attached sheet if necessary.)
Please provide the publication information requested below:
Projected publication date:
Print run (number of copies):
Projected retail price:
Conditions governing publication of Washington University’s Gaylord Music Library Special Collections manuscript material:
- Permission to conduct research with Gaylord Music Library’s manuscripts, either on-site or through copies, entails an obligation that a scholar complete and return this “Notification of Intent to Quote from or Publish Manuscripts” form before quoting from or publishing Gaylord Music Library manuscripts. Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public
- Publication can take place only under the provisions of the fair-use doctrine in the U.S. Copyright Law (as amended) or by obtaining permission of the copyright holder, which in some instances may be Washington University Libraries’.
- The Gaylord Music Library reserves the right to judge whether a proposed publication of images of materials from its collections of manuscript materials is commercial, based on the nature of the publication, the publisher, and intended circulation, and to assess a use fee accordingly. Unless otherwise specified, use fees are for one-time, single-edition rights only.
- The Gaylord Music Library reserves the right to judge whether a proposed publication of materials from its collections of manuscript materials where Washington University of St. Louis is the copyright holder is commercial, based on the nature of the publication, the publisher, and intended circulation, and to assess a use fee accordingly. Unless otherwise specified, use fees are for one-time, single-edition rights only.
- Published work created using manuscript collection materials from Washington University Libraries must include a citation in the following form:Name of the Collection (if applicable)
Gaylord Music Library Special Collections
Washington University in St. Louis
- The Gaylord Music Library requires that a complete copy of any publication (in any medium) that is based on its materials be given to the Gaylord Library for its collections.
- Unless otherwise specified, reproductions of manuscript collection materials owned by Washington University Libraries Gaylord Music Library are made available on loan and must be returned to the Department when research is completed.
- THE READER WILL DEFEND AND HOLD HARMLESS WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY, ITS WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES AND GAYLORD MUSIC LIBRARY, ITS BOARD OF TRUSTEES, ITS OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS AGAINST ALL CLAIMS, DEMANDS, COSTS, AND EXPENSES INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES INCURRED FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR REGULATORY COURSE OF ACTION ARISING FROM READER’S USE OF SPECIAL COLLECTIONS MANUSCRIPTS.
STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY: I certify that the information on this form is correct and that any publication of the requested materials will meet the conditions established by the Gaylord Music Library, as listed above. Further, I am aware of my responsibility in the case of possible copyright infringement.
Name (please print):