Place items on reserve (Faculty)

For the health and safety of our staff and patrons, only electronic reserves are available at this time. Visit our COVID-19 Resources and Updates page for additional details.

The information below outlines how faculty can put items on reserve.

Ares allows you to manage course materials online. All reserve requests can be submitted through Ares including electronic readings as well as physical materials such as books, DVDs, etc. Olin Library pulls items from our stacks to be put on the Reserve shelf and/or scans needed readings for students to download from Ares. Reserves services at other campus libraries may vary; contact your departmental library for more details. You can also manage your own courses in Ares, upload new reserve items, and import readings from previous courses.

WU Libraries provide audio and video streaming services for materials held in the John M. Olin Library and the Gaylord Music Library collections which are needed for course reserve. Contact your subject librarian or Olin Library Reserves staff for more information.

To access your course materials in Ares:

  1. Click on the button below.
  2. Login with your WUSTL Key.
  3. Call (314-935-5451) or email Olin Library Reserves staff if you are a new faculty member and don't have a WUSTL Key yet.
  4. Use the step-by-step instructions to manage your courses and reserve items.

Instructors are responsible for operating within fair use guidelines when placing material on reserve. Please consult the University copyright website or WU Libraries copyright research guide for more information.

Manage course reserves in Ares

Faculty members may request that materials (i.e., books, print materials, DVDs) relating to a course be made available for a limited check-out period. Full-time and emeritus faculty members may assign proxy borrowers (see Borrowing Privileges) who are allowed to perform library transactions on their behalf. If WU Libraries do not own needed materials, you can place your own copy on reserve or request that the item be purchased for the Libraries collections. John M. Olin Library as well as several other campus libraries offer Reserve services.

To place materials on physical course reserve:

  1. Click on the button below.
  2. Fill out the form as completely as possible.
  3. Select one of the nine campus libraries where you'd like the material to be on reserve.
  4. For reserves at Olin Library, a completed submission form  may also be dropped off instead of submitting online.
Submit physical reserves