Pardon our dust – construction at Olin Library over the years

By Sonya Rooney, University Archivist

Welcome back to campus and the first day of class.

Exterior060216pt-15

Olin library construction, June 2016

You have probably noticed the construction fence around Olin Library.  Construction started on May 23, 2016 and is scheduled to be finished by spring semester 2018.  For more information on the Olin transformation project click here.

 

 

 

On May 7, 2004, Olin Library was rededicated after an expansion and comprehensive renovation.  Check out these construction photos from that project.

01aug09_001

Olin Library renovation, 2001

01aug08_001

Olin Library renovation, 2001

 

 

 

 

 

The groundbreaking ceremony for Olin Library was held on May 3, 1960. The library opened in 1962 and dedication exercises took place on May 2, 1963.  These construction photos are from University Archives.

Construction_006

Olin Library groundbreaking, 1960

Construction_003

Olin Library construction, 1960

Construction_001

Olin Library construction, circa 1961

 

 

 

 

 

The first Library on the main campus was in Ridgley Hall which was used in the 1904 World’s Fair and then opened to students in 1905.

About the author