This fall, the Washington University Libraries are hosting a series of eight workshops that offer in-depth support on tools such as Zotero, EndNote, and ArcGIS StoryMaps. The workshops will also explore visual collections, information literacy, data management, and how to find textbooks at the University Libraries.
All of these workshops take place from noon-1:00 p.m. and will be hosted via Zoom. They are free and open to all. Preregistration is required, and you can sign up via the links below.
- Tue, Oct. 6 | ZoteroBib: Citing Made Simple… Yet Sophisticated | This virtual workshop will explain how to use ZoteroBib to build a bibliography.
- Wed., Oct. 7 | A Picture Says 1,000 Words: Exploring Visual Collections | This workshop will be an introduction to using visual collections for research. We will review methods and tools for using both physical and digital collections available through the University Libraries’ databases.
- Thu., Oct. 8 | Telling Your Story with ArcGIS StoryMaps | This workshop will introduce students to the ArcGIS StoryMaps platform and show how the medium can be used to tell compelling stories even if you don’t plan on including a map.
- Fri., Oct. 9 | Fake News, Propaganda, and Misinformation: Learning to Critically Evaluate Media Sources | One study by Stanford University found students and history professors were almost equally likely to evaluate information on the Internet incorrectly. This workshop will help you spot “fake news,” and you’ll learn the tips and tricks needed to evaluate information more effectively.
- Mon., Oct. 12 | Zotero: Find It, Save It, Cite It | This workshop will cover installing Zotero, gathering references, organizing your references, and generating formatted citations.
- Tue., Oct. 13 | Data Is Lit | This workshop will give an overview of data literacy, which is the ability to find, evaluate, understand, analyze, and make or assess arguments with data. In addition, this workshop will go over the data life cycle and considerations when dealing with data.
- Wed., Oct. 14 | EndNote OnLine: A Free Citation Management Tool | At this workshop, participants will learn to use EndNote OnLine to store references, attach .pdf documents, and create bibliographies instantly for research papers.
Recordings of these workshops will also be available later this fall.