While University Libraries’ physical spaces remain closed we are providing access to physical collection materials via a curbside pickup-style service located on the north side of John M. Olin Library.
How Curbside Pickup Works
- Patrons request materials in the Libraries catalog
- Choose Olin Library as the pickup location
- Libraries staff retrieves the item(s) from the stacks and notify patrons via email when materials are ready with a link to schedule a pickup appointment. Same-day retrieval is not available.
- Patrons pick up items during the appointed time via the room at the northeast corner of Olin Library (just to the left of the north entrance). Materials will already be checked out and will be packaged in a bag labeled with the patron’s name.
- To meet the needs of our campus community, while also ensuring the safety of our staff and adhering to the COVID-19 Response guidelines released by WashU.
- This service is only available to Washington University faculty, staff, and students with a valid Washington University ID.
WHAT AND WHERE
- Physical books in Danforth campus locations and the West Campus library, as well as books requested via Interlibrary Loan, will be available to request for pickup service at Olin Library. Different policies and procedures may apply if you are affiliated with the Law School or the Medical Campus.
- Let us know when you schedule the pickup appointment if you need ADA accommodations, and library staff will reach out to arrange a different pickup location.
- Wear a mask and arrive within your appointment timeframe in order to facilitate physical distancing from other patrons with adjacent appointments.
- Library staff will not be present in order to ensure a contact-free pickup.
- If you miss your pickup appointment, your items will be brought back inside Olin Library. Email circulation staff to reschedule.
- Items that are not picked up within 14 days will be returned to the Libraries shelves.
- You can learn more about existing practices and processes – such as how to request a chapter scan and more – through our Interlibrary Loan page.
- Pickup appointments are available in 10-minute increments during Olin Library Hours
- The University Libraries have set up numerous safety precautions for both patrons and staff, including all guidance provided by Washington University, the CDC, and library-specific organizations such as the American Libraries Association.
- Safety precautions include quarantining materials for 72 hours upon return, staff wearing masks and gloves, and adhering to physical distancing guidelines.
- Please note that despite the Libraries’ best efforts to help ensure user safety, the Libraries cannot guarantee that all collection materials are 100% free of any infectious material at the point of delivery to users via curbside pickup. Users who choose to participate in the curbside pickup service do so at their own risk.
- Most Danforth Campus locations will remain closed to the public. John M. Olin Library will be accessible to the Washington University community for the specific, limited, appointment-based services outlined on our COVID-19 Updates and Resources page. The Law Library will be accessible on a limited basis to persons directly affiliated with the School of Law.
- Patrons may return materials in the Olin Library book returns or one of the drive-up bins on Throop Drive, Shepley Drive, or the West Campus library.
- For the latest details about our extensive remote services, please visit our Remote Resources and Guidance for Users page.
- Julian Edison Department of Special Collections will be open on a limited basis to researchers by appointment and will offer virtual instruction. Visit our Special Collections Research & Access page for additional details.
Please note that this procedure is subject to change; we will update details here as needed.