During Phase 1 of Washington University’s COVID-19 Response (spanning June 1 to July 31, 2020), University Libraries’ physical spaces will remain closed, but we will begin providing access to physical collection materials on a limited basis via a “curbside pickup”-style service.
How curbside pickup will work:
1. Patron requests materials in the Libraries catalog beginning June 8.
2. Choose Olin Library as the pickup location.
3. Libraries staff will notify patrons via email that materials are ready, with a link to schedule a pickup appointment.
4. Patrons are invited to pick up items during the appointed time in the vestibule at the south entrance of Olin Library (near the George Washington statue). Materials will already be checked out and will be packaged in a bag labeled with the patron’s name.
- To meet the needs of our campus community, while also ensuring the safety of our staff and adhering to the Phase 1 guidelines released by WashU
- This service is primarily intended to serve faculty and students who have been cleared by the Provost to return to campus.
WHAT AND WHERE
- Physical books in Danforth campus locations* and the West Campus library will be available to request for pickup service at Olin Library.
- Staff will also be available to scan chapters and articles from books and bound journals.
- The university’s Phase 1 operations will be in effect June 1–July 31, 2020.
- Catalog requests resume on June 8, and pickup appointments begin on June 15.
- Pickup appointments will be available in 10-minute increments, Monday-Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- The University Libraries have set up numerous safety precautions for both patrons and staff, including all guidance provided by Washington University, the CDC, and library-specific organizations such as the American Libraries Association.
- Safety precautions include quarantining materials for 72 hours upon return, staff wearing masks and gloves and adhering to physical distancing guidelines.
- Please note that despite the Libraries’ best efforts to help ensure user safety, the Libraries cannot guarantee that all collection materials are 100% free of any infectious material at the point of delivery to users via curbside pickup. Users who choose to participate in the curbside pickup service do so at their own risk.
- Library patrons will not be able to access library spaces during Phase 1. We will send updates as the situation evolves.
- Patrons may return materials in the Olin Library book return or one of the drive-up bins on Throop Drive, Shepley Drive, or the West Campus library.
- Overdue fines and fees will be waived through September 1.
- HathiTrust’s Emergency Temporary Access Service, which offers electronic access to our materials, will no longer be available once the physical collections are accessible. It will end on June 15.
- For the latest details about our extensive remote services, please visit our Remote Resources and Guidance for Users page.
- Special Collections will remain closed during Phase 1.