Are there books the library needs to buy? Our FY16 book budget still has some money remaining. All orders need to be placed before May 2, 2016. So if you have been holding book requests, NOW is the time to send them to Ruth [firstname.lastname@example.org] so they can be acquired with fy16 funds.
Serials Review – 2017 We are now reviewing subscriptions annually to ensure we are spending library money most effectively. This year we are concentrating on titles where we seem to be spending a lot more on subscription than we would spend on Interlibrary Loans for all WU fulltext views or downloads from that journal. [Interlibrary Loan is very efficient lately; my recent requests have all arrived within 48 hours! So if you haven’t used it recently, you should definitely try again when you need things we don’t have.]
Most of our “target” savings will come, I hope, from sharing costs 50/50 for several Springer subscriptions** with Becker Medical Library. [They are making changes in their Springer purchasing in 2017 that may allow this.]
But we still need to cancel a bit more to make our target, plus
- I want to have enough identified in case Becker Medical Library decides NOT to renew all our duplicated titles
- and so that we can subscribe to the new journal Nature Ecology & Evolution
- Are there other journals we should try to acquire also? I’m happy to add faculty requests to our wish list.
After consulting with a few faculty, these are the titles we may cancel in 2017 if needed. (We will keep the access that we already have; we just won’t acquire 2017+ online.) Cancel proposals with annual cost:
- Biological theory $370
- Biotechnic & histochemistry $798
- European journal of phycology $810
- Journal of experimental zoology. Part A, Ecological genetics and physiology and Part B: Molecular and Developmental Evolution $10,956
- Journal of field ornithology $469
- Limnology and oceanography, methods $319
- Limnology and oceanography bulletin $106
- Photosynthetica. $1,752
- Plant ecology $5,115
- Journal of physiology $7,552 [unlike above titles which are used very little, Journal of physiology is fairly heavily used but Becker Library also buys this “medical-campus-only” and most users seem to have access to medical-campus-only Wiley online journals much of the time; it is also freely available on PubMed Central 12 months after publication]
If you believe we need to keep any of above titles, please email Ruth [email@example.com] before the end of Wed., April 12. If no one objects but some of these cancellations are not needed, I will wait until we have a new title we want to add or until next year’s serials review. Thank you very much for your advice on this.
**Biology Springer titles which medical campus and Danforth campus are both buying in 2016: Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, Archives of microbiology, Cellular and molecular life sciences : CMLS, Chromosoma, Chromosome research, Current genetics, Current microbiology, Development genes and evolution, Die Naturwissenschaften, European biophysics journal with biophysics letters, Genetica, Glycoconjugate journal, Journal of bioenergetics and biomembranes.