This page contains all relevant information related to Washington University Libraries’ current operations and response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Unless otherwise noted, the changes listed below are in effect from March 12, 2020, until further notice. We will continue to update these details as necessary.
The University Libraries are committed to adhering to the guidelines set out by the university including masks, physical distancing, self-screening, and other health and safety measures. Please visit the University’s COVID-19 Response website for additional details.
Last updated December 14, 2020, at 4:45 p.m.
Click a link below to jump to more details:
- See the Curbside Pickup page for up-to-date details on this service
- An Update on Course Reserves for Spring 2021 – November 11, 2020
- Phase 2 Service Details from University Libraries – August 3, 2020
- Libraries Phase 1 Response – May 27, 2020
- Announcement from Washington University Libraries Regarding COVID-19 – March 12, 2020
Buildings and Access
All Danforth Campus locations remain closed with the exception of John M. Olin Library, which is offering limited services to faculty, students, and staff by appointment and as outlined below. See our Hours page for additional information.
- Access to University Study Cubbies, printers, and the Bookeye scanner is available on the south side of Olin Library’s first floor.
- The Julian Edison Department of Special Collections will be open on a limited basis to researchers by appointment and will offer virtual instruction.
- Patrons can make an appointment to utilize the microfilm scanner in Olin Library to view film or fiche borrowed on Interlibrary Loan or housed in Olin.
- See the websites for the Bernard Becker Medical Library and Law Library for the latest hours and operations information.
While University Libraries’ physical spaces remain closed we are providing access to physical collection materials at John M. Olin Library via a curbside pickup-style service. See our Curbside Pickup page for full details.
Visit our Remote Resources and Guidance page for details about how to access services and additional digital content available during this time.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and MOBIUS
- Patrons can request physical materials (to be distributed via curbside pickup) through Interlibrary Loan and MOBIUS.
- We will supply PDFs from the Libraries’ electronic and print collections. We will also obtain PDFs of articles and book chapters from other libraries, although these may be slow to arrive or have a higher cancellation rate.
- ILL is only available to current WashU students, faculty, and staff.
- Becker Medical Library and the Law Library operate separate ILL services.
Materials and Services
- Course reserves: Only electronic reserves are available at this time
- Special collections: Virtual instruction and research appointments are available
- Microfilm: The microfilm reader is available by appointment to view film or fische borrowed on Interlibrary Loan or housed in Olin
- Technology loans: Technology lending has been suspended
- Campus box delivery: Campus box delivery has been suspended
- Poster printing: Poster print services have been suspended
Handling Books and Materials
We will quarantine returned library materials for 72 hours in the interest of user and staff safety
- Returns & fines: Returned materials are quarantined for 72 hours before being discharged from your library account at which time fines and fees incurred due to the COVID closure during spring and summer 2020 will be waived. Other fines or fees may apply on overdue materials checked out during the fall 2020 semester or after. Please contact email@example.com for assistance with your library account.
- Book drops: John M. Olin Library’s book drops are open. We also recommend that patrons utilize our drive-up return bins at Throop Drive, the South 40 on Shepley Drive, or the West Campus Library at 7425 Forsyth Blvd.
Download a map of these drive-up book drop locations.
- Returning books by mail: If you will not be returning to campus, please ship WashU, MOBIUS, and Interlibrary Loan materials to:
Washington University in St. Louis
One Brookings Drive, Campus Box 1061
Atten: Olin Library Circulation
St. Louis, MO 63130
ph: (314) 935-5420
Instruction and Consultations
- Subject Librarians are available for remote consultations with faculty and students via phone, email, or online (e.g. Zoom)
- Library instruction is only available remotely for the semester. To learn more about how a librarian can provide remote instruction, please visit the Instruction and Information Literacy Program page
- Data Services staff are available via Zoom during Help Desk hours and by appointment
- Curators in the Julian Edison Department of Special Collections are available to assist Washington University faculty, staff, and students with obtaining virtual access to materials for research and instruction
- COVID-19 Resource Guide: The Washington University Libraries have created this resource guide to help you find information you can trust about the virus, how it spreads, and how to protect yourself.
- Expanded Content Access during COVID-19
- Rights Issues for Shifting Courses Online