Wikimedia’s gender trouble is well-documented. While the reasons for the gender gap are up for debate, the practical effect of this disparity, however, is not. Content is skewed by the lack of female participation. This represents an alarming absence in an increasingly important repository of shared knowledge.
Let’s change that. Join us for a communal updating of Wikipedia entries on subjects related to art and feminism. We will provide guidance for the beginner Wikipedian, as well as reference materials and refreshments. A limited number of computers are available, and we recommend you bring your laptop and power cord, in addition to ideas for entries that need updating or creation. People of all gender identities and expressions are invited to participate.
If possible, please register a user account with Wikipedia before coming to the event to avoid technical difficulties. For more details: https://
If you are in need of childcare, please fill out this RSVP form by Tuesday, March 21: http://wustl.libcal.com/
- Date: Tuesday, March 28, 2017
- Time: 3:00pm – 7:00pm
- Host / Location: Kranzberg Art & Architecture Library, Washington University. The library is located in the basement of the Kemper Art Museum.
- Organizers: Washington University Libraries
- Subway/Bus: Located near Skinker Metro Station (Blue Line)
- Who should attend: People of all gender identities and expressions. Please ask your fellow attendees for their pronouns of choice!
- Hashtag: #artandfeminism #noweditingAF
- There will be a limited number of computer terminals available. You are encouraged to bring your laptop, power cord and ideas for entries that need updating or creation. For the editing-averse, we urge you to stop by to show your support.
- ALSO: Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the [Safe Space Policy] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/ArtandFeminism/Safespacepolicy)