Pfeiffer Physics Library News
** News **
- Physics Library Budget - I still have money left in the FY2009 budget
for purchasing books. The last day to purchase books on this fiscal year's budget
is May 1. If there are any books which you would like me to purchase for the
Physics Library, please let me know as soon as possible.
- Collection Budget - Books - I have received a comparison between our new
approval plan for books, which will become effective on April 1, and our old plan.
The old plan had an upper price limit of $175 with a preference for hardback books.
The new plan has an upper price limit of $140 and a lower price limit of $40 with
a preference for paperback books. Under the old plan, we were automatically receiving
approximately 185 books per year. With the new plan, we will automatically receive
approximately 115 books per year. Please remember to let me know if there are any
books you would like me to special order so we don't miss out on important books
in your areas of research.
- Journal Cancellations
As part of the budget cut, the following journals have been identified for cancellation:
- Acta Astronomica
- Canadian Journal of Physics
- Indian Journal of Theoretical Physics
- International Journal of Modern Physics A
- International Journal of Modern Physics C
- International Journal of Modern Physics E
- International Journal of Non-Equilibrium Processing
- Journal of Modern Optics
- Mathematical Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society
- Nuovo Cimento B
- Nuovo Cimento C
- Philosophical Magazine
- Physica Status Solidi A
- Physics & Chemistry of Glasses
- Proceedings of the Royal Society A
- Ultrasonic Imaging
- Waves in Random and Complex Media
- Acoustics Today
- Advances in Physics
- Annales de Physique
- Applied Physics Letters
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society
- Journal of Applied Physics
- Journal of Chemical Physics
- Journal of Mathematical Physics
- Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
- Nature (with a donated print copy)
- Physica B
- Physical Review A, B, C, D, E, & Letters
- Physics of Fluids
- Physics of Plasmas
- Physics Reports
- Review of Scientific Instruments
- Reviews of Modern Physics
- Solid State Communications
- Springer Tracts in Modern Physics
- Springer Cancellation Possibilities
We are currently in the first year of a three year contract with Springer to provide journals. Many of the journals with the highest cost per use are from Springer. We will try to negotiate with Springer to break the contract. The following journals would be canceled INSTEAD OF the primary list if we get approval from Springer. Please let me know, no later than April 15, if any of the following journals should be kept (there are some duplications between the two lists).
- Annales Henri Poincare
- Astronomy Letters
- Astronomy Reports
- European Physical Journal C
- Few Body Systems
- International Journal of Modern Physics A (not Springer, but high cost per use)
- Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Physics
- Optics & Spectroscopy
- Physics & Chemistry of Glasses (not Springer, but high cost per use)
- Physics of Atomic Nuclei
- Physics of Particles & Nuclei (incl. Letters)
- Theoretical and Mathematical Physics
- Waves in Random and Complex Media (not Springer, but high cost per use)
- AIP and APS Change Form and Function of Virtual Journals - The American
Institute of Physics and the American Physical Society, co-publishers of the Virtual
Journals in Science and Technology (VJ) series, announced the release of a completely
redesigned website for the Virtual Journals. The series currently covers five areas
of burgeoning research: Biological Physics Research, Nanoscale Science & Technology,
Quantum Information, Ultrafast Science, and Applications of Superconductivity. The
AIP/APS Virtual Journals are free topical alerting services that collect and organize
papers from a broad range of sources, including Science and Nature. They allow
researchers to stay current with the best and most recently published literature
in the field, and users may sign up for timely Table of Contents email alerts.
Each indexed article is linked to the full text at the contributing publisher's site.
- Open Access Policy at Oregon State University - The Oregon State University
Library faculty recently adopted a policy that requires deposit of final published
versions of scholarly works in the libraries' institutional repository. This is the
first open access mandate adopted by a library faculty in the United States. The new
policy means that the library faculty will automatically contribute all of their
scholarship to the archive. No later than the date of publication or distribution,
library faculty members will deposit an electronic copy of the final published version
of their works in an appropriate format (such as PDF) to ScholarsArchive@OSU. The
policy applies to articles, conference papers and proceedings, substantial presentations
and internal reports of interest to a broader audience that are authored or co-authored
by library faculty members.
- Recently published papers in Physics - The following papers were recently
indexed and published by members of the Physics Department:
- Title: B macr rarr D/sup */ l nu macr form factor at zero recoil from three-flavor
lattice QCD: a model independent determination of |V/sub cb/|
Author(s): Bernard, C.; DeTar, C.; Di Pierro, M.; El-Khadra, A.X.; Evans, R.T.; Freeland, E.D.; Gamiz, E.; Gottlieb, S.; Heller, U.M.; Hetrick, J.E.; Kronfeld, A.S.; Laiho, J.; Levkova, L.; Mackenzie, P.B.; Okamoto, M.; Simone, J.; Sugar, R.; Toussaint, D.; Van de Water, R.S.
Source: Physical Review D vol.79, no.1 : 014506 (20 pp.), 2009
- Title: The Advanced Gamma-ray Imaging System (AGIS) - simulation studies
Author(s): Maier, G.; Buckley, J.; Bugaev, V.; Fegan, S.; Funk, S.; Konopelko, A.; Rieger, F.A.
Source: AIP Conference Proceedings vol.1085 : 862-5, 2008
- Title: The Advanced Gamma-ray Imaging System (AGIS) telescope optical system designs
Author(s): Bugaev, V.; Buckley, J.; Diegel, S.; Falcone, A.; Fegan, S.; Finley, J.; Guarino, V.; Hanna, D.; Kaaret, P.; Konopelko, A.; Krawczynski, H.; Ramsey, B.; Romani, R.; Vassiliev, V.; Rieger, F.A.
Source: AIP Conference Proceedings vol.1085 : 834-7, 2008
- Title: Icosahedral order, frustration, and the glass transition: Evidence from
time-dependent nucleation and supercooled liquid structure studies
Author(s): Shen, Y.T.; Kim, T.H.; Gangopadhyay, A.K.; Kelton, K.F.
Source: Physical Review Letters vol.102, no.5 : 057801 (4 pp.), 2009
- Title: Calibration of RF transmitter voltages for hyperpolarized gas MRI
Author(s): Bashir, A.; Conradi, M.S.; Woods, J.C.; Quirk, J.D.; Yablonskiy, D.A.
Source: Magnetic Resonance in Medicine vol.61, no.1 : 239-43, 2009
- Title: Distributed delays stabilize neural feedback systems
Author(s): Meyer, U.; Jing Shao; Chakrabarty, S.; Brandt, S.; Luksch, H.; Wessel, R.
Source: Biological Cybernetics vol.99, no.1 : 79-87, 2008
- Title: Symmetries, dimensional reduction, and topological quantum order
Author(s): Nussinov, Z.; Ortiz, G.
Source: Journal of Physics: Conference Series vol.143 : 012016 (14 pp.), 2009
- Title: AlGaN/InGaN photocathode development
Author(s): Buckley, J.H.; Leopold, D.J.
Source: AIP Conference Proceedings vol.1085 : 906-9, 2008
- Title: The Advanced Gamma-ray Imaging System (AGIS) - science highlights
Author(s): Buckley, J.; Coppi, P.; Digel, S.; Funk, S.; Krawczynski, H.; Krennrich, F.; Pohl, M.; Romani, R.; Vassiliev, V.
Source: AIP Conference Proceedings vol.1085 : 902-5, 2008
- Title: Extragalactic science with the next generation of ground based TeV gamma -ray telescopes
Author(s): Krawczynski, H.
Source: AIP Conference Proceedings vol.1085 : 800-8, 2008
- Title: Actin polymerization overshoots and ATP hydrolysis as assayed by pyrene fluorescence
Author(s): Brooks, F.J.; Carlsson, A.E.
Source: Biophysical Journal vol.95, no.3 : 1050-62, 2008
- Title: Comprehensive gamma -ray spectroscopy of rotational bands in the N=Z+1 nucleus /sup 61/Zn
Author(s): Andersson, L.-L.; Ragnarsson, I.; Rudolph, D.; Johansson, E.K.; Torres, D.A.; Andreoiu, C.; Carpenter, M.P.; Charity, R.J.; Chiara, C.J.; Ekman, J.; Fahlander, C.; Hoel, C.; Pechenaya, O.L.; Reviol, W.; du Rietz, R.; Sarantites, D.G.; Seweryniak, D.; Sobotka, L.G.; Zhu, S.
Source: Physical Review C (Nuclear Physics) vol.79, no.2 : 024312 (13 pp.), 2009
- Title: Multi-exponential signal decay from diffusion in a single compartment
Author(s): Milne, M.L.; Conradi, M.S.
Source: Journal of Magnetic Resonance vol.197, no.1 : 87-90, 2009
- Title: B macr rarr D/sup */ l nu macr form factor at zero recoil from three-flavor lattice QCD: a model independent determination of |V/sub cb/|
**Recent Additions to the Library Web Pages**
- Nature Chemistry
- We now have access to the title Nature Chemistry. The URL is:
**NEW BOOKS**NEW BOOKS**NEW BOOKS**NEW BOOKS**Note: If you want more information on any of these, please search the Library Catalog by title, keywords or author.
Advances in imaging and electron physics. TK7800 .A37 v.156 Applied dynamics : with applications to multibody and mechatronic systems / Francis C. Moon. QA845 .M657 2008 Astronomical applications of astrometry : ten years of exploitation of the Hipparcos Satellite data / Michael Perryman. QB807 .P47 2009 Astrophysical lasers / Vladilen Letokhov, Sveneric Johansson. QC689.55.P53 L48 2009 Atomic physics : an exploration through problems and solutions / Dmitry Budker, Derek F. Kimball, David P. DeMille. QC776 .B82 2008 Choosing and using a new CAT : getting the most from your Schmidt Cassegrain or other catadioptric telescope / by Rod Mollise. QB88 .M65 2009 The chronologers' quest : episodes in the search for the age of the earth / Patrick Wyse Jackson. QE508 .W97 2006 Computational fluid dynamics : an introduction / John F. Wendt (ed.). ; with contributions by John D. Anderson, Jr. ... [et al.]. TA357 .C58775 2009 Einstein's telescope : the hunt for dark matter and dark energy in the universe / Evalyn Gates. QB791.3 .G38 2009 Fundamentals of photonic crystal guiding / Maksim Skorobogatiy, Jianke Yang. QD924 .S56 2009 Handbook of Star Forming Regions: Volume I, The Northern Sky Volume II, The Southern Sky Electronic book - user name and password required and found at: http://library.wustl.edu/downloads/accessinfo.html The harvest of a century : discoveries of modern physics in 100 episodes / Siegmund Brandt. QC7 .B64 2009 High-energy astrophysics / Fulvio Melia. QB464 .M45 2009 Intermediate spectral theory and quantum dynamics / César R. de Oliveira. QC20.7.S64 O45 2009 A journey through statistical physics : from foundations to the quantum hall effect : selecta of Jürg Fröhlich / edited by Giovanni Felder, Gian Michele Graf, Klaus Hepp. QC174.8 .F76 2009 Nonlinear magnetization dynamics in nanosystems / Giorgio Bertotti, Isaak D. Mayergoyz, Claudio Serpico. TK454.4.M3 B47 2009 - On superconductivity and superfluidity : a scientific autobiography / Vitaly L. Ginzburg. QC611.92 .G55 2009 Physics of stochastic processes : how randomness acts in time / Reinhard Mahnke, Jevgenijs Kaupus, and Ihor Lubashevsky. QC20.7.S8 M34 2009 Quantum electrodynamics / Walter Greiner, Joachim Reinhardt ; with a foreword by D.A. Bromley. QC680 .G7213 2009 Quantum gravitation : the Feynman path integral approach / Herbert W. Hamber. QC178 .H36 2009 String theory and the real world : from particle physics to astrophysics : École d'été de physique des Houches, session LXXXVII, 2 July-27 July 2007 : École thématique du CNRS / edited by C. Bachas .. QC794.6.S85 E26 2008 Structure formation in astrophysics / edited by Gilles Chabrier. QB461 .S82 2009 Synchronization : from simple to complex / Alexander Balanov ... [et al.]. Q172.5.S96 S96 2009
This Physics Library News is distributed at the web site and to your e-mail.