Biology News & New Books List
September 2011Link to top Biology page | Link to top News page | Link to News Blog
For the most frequent updates, subscribe to the RSS feed from the Biology Library News blog. Consult RSS for Biologists for tips on this or contact Ruth Lewis for help.
Proxy Server Login for Off-Campus Access to many resources below
- Open Access at Washington University:
- New library guide: Open Access at Washington University
- Upcoming events: Open Access @ Washington University: Why Here? Why Now? Why Care? The University Libraries invites you to this session to get the facts about the Open Access Resolution adopted by the WU Faculty Senate and what it means to your rights as an author. This is especially relevant to faculty but other scholarly authors or prospective authors may be interested also. Bring your questions! Thurs., October 27, Noon-1, Danforth University Center room 276. REFRESHMENTS WILL BE PROVIDED. For more information, contact Ruth Lewis firstname.lastname@example.org Preregistration requested
A similar session will be held at the medical campus (Holden Auditorium, Farrell Learning and Teaching Center), Tuesday, October 25 at noon, in case that fits your schedule better. More information about the Medical Campus session
- New York Times September 18, 2011: Internet Ruffles Pricey Scholarly Journals, by D.D. Guttenplan. "Open access is now an established part of the publishing landscape,” said Mr. Patterson of PLoS, “but there is still a long way to go before it becomes the dominant model."
- How to cite data: We now have a page on citing data available on Citing Your Sources & Writing Styles. This was inspired by a recent blog post, Draft boilerplate text for journal policy on data citation.
A new creature in the biodiversity world: the data paper is an interesting post on a related topic.
See also Researchers failing to make raw data public Nature news, Sept. 14, 2011, about research published in PLoS One: Public Availability of Published Research Data in High-Impact Journals and Who Shares? Who Doesn't? Factors Associated with Openly Archiving Raw Research Data.
- HHMI Holiday Lectures on Science 2011: The Howard Hughes Medical Institute 2011 Holiday Lectures on Science will be "Bones, Stones and Genes: the Origin of Modern Humans." You can watch live Oct. 6 at 9 am. The archive will be available October 11, 2011. I will request the DVD copy as soon as it is available. Most of the previous HHMI holiday lectures are available in the library, for example, Viral outbreak : the science of emerging disease, Exploring biodiversity: the search for new medicines, Making your mind: molecules, motion, and memory, and many more.
- Links to availability at WU Becker Medical Library: Get it! buttons, which are found in most databases, now include an option to "Check if this is available from the Becker Medical Library" when we do not have fulltext online access in the Get it! menu. If you are using databases from Becker Library, their Get It@Becker buttons also include an option to "Check if this is available from the Danforth Campus Libraries."
Get it! with Pubmed: To have Get it! buttons in PubMed you need to use a link from a library web page. For locating fulltext from PubMed, I recommend the publisher's link/graphic first and the green Get It! or red Get It@Becker buttons second. Personally I like to have BOTH buttons by using My NCBI with Outside Tool Preference set to "Washington Univ. in St. Louis, Danforth Campus" AND Linkout icon set to "Washington University Medical School Becker Library, MO." MY NCBI has other features, such as saved searches. More info about My NCBI.
- Upcoming classes from the library: http://wulibraries.doattend.com/.
- Deadly Medicine - Creating the Master Race: This exhibit is now available at Becker Medical Library. It runs through October 30. In addition to the exhibit, several lectures are scheduled. More info: Deadly Medicine - Creating the Master Race | Exhibit highlights biomedical travesties of the Holocaust.
- History of Science-Medicine-Technology events, fall, 2011: I have begun to collect Fall 2011 talks on the history of science, medicine and technology at WU. Send additions to Ruth. Thanks.
- Dai S, Wei X, Pei L, Thompson RL, Liu Y, Heard JE, Ruff TG, Beachy RN. 2011. BROTHER OF LUX ARRHYTHMO is a component of the Arabidopsis circadian clock. Plant Cell 23(3):961-72. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers, freely available 12 months after publication.
- Freeman GM Jr, Herzog ED. 2011. Neuropeptides go the distance for circadian synchrony. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108(34):13883-4. PubMed citation & fulltext for subscribers, freely available 6 months after publication.
- Guo Z, Lin S, Xin Y, Wang HY, Blankenship RE, Woodbury N. 2011. Comparing the Temperature Dependence of Photosynthetic Electron Transfer in Chloroflexus aurantiacus and Rhodobactor sphaeroides Reaction Centers. J Phys Chem B 115(38):11230-8. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Hayes D, Wen JZ, Panitchayangkoon G, Blankenship RE, Engel GS. 2011. Robustness of electronic coherence in the Fenna-Matthews-Olson complex to vibronic and structural modifications. Faraday Discussions 150:459-469. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Lee SG, Jez JM. 2011. The phosphobase methylation pathway in caernorhabditis elegans: A new route to phospholipids in animals. Current Chemical Biology 5(3):183-188. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers [WU does not subscribe].
- Reagon M, Thurber CS, Olsen KM, Jia Y, Caicedo AL. 2011. The long and the short of it: SD1 polymorphism and the evolution of growth trait divergence in U.S. weedy rice. Mol Ecol 20(18):3743-56. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Sadeghayobi E, Blake S, Wikelski M, Gibbs J, Mackie R, Cabrera F. 2011. Digesta retention time in the Galápagos tortoise (Chelonoidi nigra). Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 160(4):493-7. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Tang KH, Tang YJ, Blankenship RE. 2011. Carbon metabolic pathways in phototrophic bacteria and their broader evolutionary implications. Front Microbiol 2:165. PubMed abstract & freely available fulltext.
- Tinkum KL, Marpegan L, White LS, Sun J, Herzog ED, Piwnica-Worms D, Piwnica-Worms H. 2011. Bioluminescence Imaging Captures the Expression and Dynamics of Endogenous p21 Promoter Activity in Living Mice and Intact Cells. Mol Cell Biol 31(18):3759-72. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers, freely available 4 months after publication.
- Wilson ME, Jensen GS, Haswell ES. 2011. Two Mechanosensitive Channel Homologs Influence Division Ring Placement in Arabidopsis Chloroplasts. Plant Cell 23(8):2939-49. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21810996"> PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers, free 12 months after publication | In the news, including the journal issue cover photo.
- COBRA Collection of Biostatistics Research Archive Preprints, working papers, some peer reviewed journal articles
- Nature Precedings
- Full text, 2011+; freely avaialble; not really a journal but a permanent, citable archive for pre-publication research and preliminary findings. The archive allows for researchers to share documents, including presentations, posters, white papers, technical papers, supplementary findings, and non-peer-reviewed manuscripts.
Phylogenetics: Theory and Practice of Phylogenetic Systematics, Second Edition, Author(s): E. O. Wiley, Bruce S. Lieberman. Wiley Online Library, 2011.
International Review of Neurobiology, v.96, 97,98, 99, 2011
Methods in Enzymology, v.500: Methods in Systems Biology
Advances in Protein Chemistry and Structural Biology, v.85: Computational chemistry methods in structural biology
Methods in Cell Biology, v.105: The Zebrafish: Disease Models and Chemical Screens, 3rd Edition
Advances in Ecological Research, v.45: The Role of Body Size in Multispecies Systems
Selected From Becker Library ebooks - there are MANY more available:
Xeno the promise of transplanting animal organs into humans
Webster's new world medical dictionary, 3rd ed., fully rev. and updated / Shiel, William C. Wiley Pub., 2008.
Visceral sensory neuroscience : interoception, Cameron, Oliver G. Oxford University Press, 2002.
Textbook of neuroanatomy, Patestas, Maria Antoniou. Blackwell Pub., 2006.
Useful Bodies : Humans in the Service of Medical Science in the Twentieth Century Goodman, Jordan McElligott, Anthony Marks, Lara. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2003
Oxford Scholarship Online: Neuroscience Becker Medical Library has recently purchased this ebook collection and all WU users have access. Chapters are available as fulltext html or pdf files. Search options include searching every word within the text or just bibliographic information. Additional titles will be added 3 times a year.
Also the Social Work Library purchased Oxford Scholarship Online: Public Health and Epidemiology and Oxford Scholarship Online: Social Work ebook packages.
These are the titles currently available fulltext in the Oxford Scholarship Online: Neuroscience package:
23 Problems in Systems Neuroscience 2006 van Hemmen, Sejnowski
Adolescent Psychopathology and the Developing Brain 2007 Romer, Walker
Attention, Genes, and Developmental Disorders 2010 Cornish, Wilding
Axon 1995 Waxman, Kocsis et al
Behavior of the Laboratory Rat 2004 Whishaw, Kolb
Biology of Aggression 2005 Nelson
Brain Development 2006 Miller
Brain Gender 2005 Hines
Brain Landscape 2009 Eberhard
Brain, Mind, and the Structure of Reality 2010 Nunez
Broca's Region 2006 Grodzinsky, Amunts
Cajal's Butterflies of the Soul 2009 DeFelipe
Central Regulation of Autonomic Functions 2011 Llewellyn-Smith, Verberne
Cognitive Neuroscience of Aging 2004 Cabeza, Nyberg et al
Cognitive Neuroscience of Memory 2002 Eichenbaum
Cortex and Mind 2005 Fuster
Cortical Oscillations in Health and Disease 2010 Traub, MD, Whittington, PhD
Creating Modern Neuroscience: The Revolutionary 1950s 2009 Shepherd MD, DPhil
Diversity in the Neuronal Machine 2006 Soltesz
Dopamine Handbook 2009 Iversen, Iversen et al
Electric Fields of the Brain 2006 Nunez, Srinivasan
Emotion Explained 2005 Rolls
Excitatory Amino Acid Transmission in Health and Disease 2005 Balazs, Bridges et al
Fiber Pathways of the Brain 2006 Schmahmann, Pandya
Filling-In 2003 Pessoa, De Weerd
From Development to Degeneration and Regeneration of the Nervous System 2008 Ribak, de la Hoz et al
Hippocampus Book 2006 Andersen, Morris et al
History of Neuroscience in Autobiography Volume 6 2009 Squire
Hormones and Brain Plasticity 2009 García-Segura
Human Brain Anatomy in Computerized Images 2005 Damasio
Imaging the Aging Brain 2009 Jagust, D'Esposito
In Search of Madness 2001 Heinrichs
In the Theater of Consciousness 1997 Baars
Integrative Neuroscience and Personalized Medicine 2010 Gordon, MD, PhD, Koslow, PhD
Intelligent Movement Machine 2009 Graziano
Lost Self 2005 Feinberg, Keenan
Luria's Legacy in the 21st Century 2009 Christensen, Goldberg et al
Lysosomal Disorders of the Brain 2004 Platt, Walkley
Matter of Mind 2002 Heilman
Mechanisms of Cortical Development 2000 Price, Willshaw
MEG: An Introduction to Methods 2010 Hansen, Kringelbach et al
Memory, Attention, and Decision-Making 2007 Rolls
Minds Behind the Brain 2005 Finger
Molecular and Cellular Approaches to Neural Development 1998 Cowan, Jessell et al
Molecular Biology of the Neuron 2004 Davies, Morris
Motoneurone and its Muscle Fibres 2006 Kernell
Motor Control 2010 Danion, PhD, Latash, PhD
Neural Basis of Reading 2010 Cornelissen, Hansen et al
Neurobiology of Pain 2005 Hunt, Koltzenburg
Neuroergonomics 2006 Parasuraman, Rizzo
Neuroethics 2004 Illes
Neuroglia 2004 Kettenmann, Ransom
Neuroglycobiology 2005 Fukuda, Rutishauser et al
Neuroimaging in Epilepsy 2010 Chugani, MD
Neurovascular Medicine 2009 Maiese
Observed Brain Dynamics 2007 Mitra, Bokil
Orbitofrontal Cortex 2006 Zald, Rauch
Placebo Effects 2008 Benedetti
Principles of Frontal Lobe Function 2002 Stuss, Knight
Quantitative Methods in Neuroscience 2004 Evans, Janson et al
Reprogramming the Cerebral Cortex 2006 Lomber, Eggermont
Rhythms of the Brain 2006 Buzsáki
Science of Marijuana 2007 Iversen
Science of Memory: Concepts 2007 Roediger, Dudai et al
Sex Differences in the Brain 2007 Becker, Berkley et al
Simultaneous EEG and fMRI 2010 Ullsperger, Debener
Sleep and Brain Plasticity 2003 Maquet, Smith et al
Synaptic Organization of the Brain 2004 Shepherd
Synergy 2008 Latash
Your Brain on Food 2010 Wenk
New Ebooks from Springer:
NOTE: Supplementary materials released with the print books (CD-ROMs, for example) are made available to the purchasers of the e-books at http://extras.springer.com. Because I get these lists from compilations at Springer, there are always newer books available (which I will post next month). If you are looking for a book from Springer or a Springer-related publisher, it never hurts to search at http://www.springerlink.com/books. We have not yet purchased the 2012 package, so books with 2012 copyright dates are not yet accessible to WU-users.
Adhesive Interactions in Normal and Transformed Cells Yury A. Rovensky
Advanced Protocols for Animal Transgenesis Shirley Pease, Thomas L. Saunders Springer Protocols Handbooks
Alcohol and Cancer Samir Zakhari, Vasilis Vasiliou, Q. Max Guo
Bacteria in Agrobiology: Plant Nutrient Management Dinesh K. Maheshwari
Beneficial Microorganisms in Multicellular Life Forms Eugene Rosenberg, Uri Gophna
Biofilms and Veterinary Medicine Steven Percival, Derek Knottenbelt, Christine Cochrane Springer Series on Biofilms 6
Biology and Conservation of the European Sturgeon Acipenser sturio L. 1758: The Reunion of the European and Atlantic Sturgeons Patrick Williot, Eric Rochard, Nathalie Desse-Berset, Frank Kirschbaum, Jörn Gessner
Blood in Motion Abraham Noordergraaf
Cancer Stem Cells in Solid Tumors Alison L. Allan Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine
Cancer Systems Biology, Bioinformatics and Medicine: Research and Clinical Applications Alfredo Cesario, Frederick Marcus
Carbon Sequestration Potential of Agroforestry Systems: Opportunities and Challenges B. Mohan Kumar, P. K. Ramachandran Nair Advances in Agroforestry 8
Cell Cycle Checkpoints: Methods and Protocols Willis X. Li Methods in Molecular Biology 782
Common Infectious Diseases of Insects in Culture: Diagnostic and Prophylactic Methods Vladimir Gouli, Svetlana Gouli, Jose Marcelino SpringerBriefs in Zoology
Current Hypotheses and Research Milestones in Alzheimer's Disease George Perry, Ricardo B. Maccioni
Date Palm Biotechnology Shri Mohan Jain, Jameel M. Al-Khayri, Dennis V. Johnson
Detoxification of Heavy Metals Irena Sherameti, Ajit Varma Soil Biology 30
Environment and Breast Cancer Jose Russo
Fighting Poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Multiple Roles of Legumes in Integrated Soil Fertility Management Andre Bationo, Boaz Waswa, Jeremiah M. Okeyo, Fredah Maina, Job Kihara, Uzo Mokwunye
Fisheries Management in Japan: Its institutional features and case studies Mitsutaku Makino Fish & Fisheries Series 34
Giardia: A Model Organism Hugo D. Luján, Staffan Svärd
Histone Deacetylases: the Biology and Clinical Implication Tso-Pang Yao, Edward Seto Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology 206
'In Considerable Variety': Introducing the Diversity of Australia’s Insects Tim R. New
Innovations as Key to the Green Revolution in Africa: Exploring the Scientific Facts Andre Bationo, Boaz Waswa, Jeremiah M. Okeyo, Fredah Maina, Job Maguta Kihara
Interface: A Guide for Professionals Supporting the Criminal Justice System Paul R. Laska Springer’s Forensic Laboratory Science Series
Landscape Ecology in Forest Management and Conservation: Challenges and Solutions for Global Change Chao Li, Raffaele Lafortezza, Jiquan Chen
Lipid Mediators and Their Metabolism in the Brain Akhlaq A. Farooqui
Molecular Biomineralization: Aquatic Organisms Forming Extraordinary Materials Werner E. G. Müller Progress in Molecular and Subcellular Biology 52
Multi-System Endocrine Disruption Jean-Pierre Bourguignon, Bernard Jégou, Bernard Kerdelhué, Jorma Toppari, Yves Christen Research and Perspectives in Endocrine Interactions
Network Biology: Methods and Applications Gerard Cagney, Andrew Emili Methods in Molecular Biology 781
Nuclear Reprogramming and Stem Cells Justin Ainscough, Shinya Yamanaka, Takashi Tada Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine
Old Growth Urban Forests Robert E. Loeb SpringerBriefs in Ecology
Origins of Life: The Primal Self-Organization Richard Egel, Dirk-Henner Lankenau, Armen Y. Mulkidjanian
Pediatric Clinical Pharmacology Hannsjörg W. Seyberth, Anders Rane, Matthias Schwab Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology 205
Permeability Barrier: Methods and Protocols Kursad Turksen Methods in Molecular Biology 763
Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase: Methods and Protocols Alexei V. Tulin Methods in Molecular Biology 780
Principles of Terrestrial Ecosystem Ecology, 2nd ed F. Stuart Chapin, III, Pamela A. Matson, Peter M. Vitousek
Signal Transduction Protocols Louis M. Luttrell, Stephen S. G. Ferguson Methods in Molecular Biology 756
Tissue Engineering in Regenerative Medicine Harold S. Bernstein Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine
Tumors of the Central Nervous System, Volume 1: Gliomas: Glioblastoma (Part 1) M. A. Hayat
Tumors of the Central Nervous System, Volume 2: Gliomas: Glioblastoma (Part 2) M.A. Hayat
Tumors of the Central Nervous system, Volume 3: Brain Tumors (Part 1) M.A. Hayat
Vaccines against Allergies Rudolf Valenta, Robert L. Coffman Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology 820
Wild Crop Relatives: Genomic and Breeding Resources: Industrial Crops Chittaranjan Kole
Wild Crop Relatives: Genomic and Breeding Resources: Plantation and Ornamental Crops Chittaranjan Kole
Wild Crop Relatives: Genomic and Breeding Resources: Tropical and Subtropical Fruits Chittaranjan Kole
Wild Crop Relatives: Genomic and Breeding Resources: Vegetables Chittaranjan Kole
Wild Crop Relatives: Genomic and Breeding Resources:Forest Trees Chittaranjan Kole
Paper books Click on the title for more info or to request
Note: "In Process" titles may still be REQUESTED so the book will be held for you when it is available.
Building the new man : eugenics, racial science and genetics in twentieth-century Italy / Francesco Cassata translated by Erin O'Loughlin. CEU Press studies in the history of medicine v. 3. Budapest New York : Central European University Press, 2011.
Cellular and molecular immunology, 7th ed / Abul K. Abbas, Andrew H. Lichtman, Shiv Pillai illustrations by David L. Baker, Alexandra Baker. Philadelphia : Saunders/Elsevier, c2012.
Considering animals : contemporary studies in human-animal relations / edited by Carol Freeman, Elizabeth Leane, and Yvette Watt. Farnham, Surrey, England Burlington, VT : Ashgate Pub., c2011.
Developmental biology, 9th ed / Scott F. Gilbert. Sunderland, Mass. : Sinauer Associates, c2010.
EMBOSS developer's guide : bioinformatics programming / Jon Ison, Peter Rice, Alan Bleasby. Cambridge New York : Cambridge University Press, 2011.
Evolution / Sherrie Lyons. Abingdon, Oxon New York, NY : Routledge, 2011.
Fundamentals of computational neuroscience / Thomas P. Trappenberg. Oxford New York : Oxford University Press, 2010.
Genome-enabled analysis of plant-pathogen interactions / edited by Thomas Wolpert ... [et al.] St. Paul, Minnesota : American Phytopathological Society, 2011.
Kraken : the curious, exciting, and slightly disturbing science of squid / by Wendy Williams. New York : Abrams Image, 2011, c2010.
Mindreading animals : the debate over what animals know about other minds / Robert W. Lurz. Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, c2011.
Population genetics of bacteria : a tribute to Thomas S. Whittam / edited by Seth T. Walk, Peter C. H. Feng. Washington, DC : ASM Press, c2011.
Reframing rights : bioconstitutionalism in the genetic age / edited by Sheila Jasanoff. Basic bioethics Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, c2011.
Still counting : biodiversity exploration for conservation : the first 20 years of the Rapid Assessment Program / edited by Leeanne E. Alonso ... [et al. introductory letter by Peter A. Seligmann foreword by Russell A. Mittermeier]. Arlington, VA: Rapid Assessment Program, Conservation International, c2011.
What I Don't Know About Animals. Yale Univ Pr 2011.
Buy not borrow: In February, we began to purchase books requested on Interlibrary Loan when they can be acquired quickly, cost less than $100, are not available in Mobius or GWLA (another library consortium we use a lot), etc. These are paid for from a special fund. Buying the book may cost less than locating and borrowing a copy. You may sometimes see odd titles in our new books list and wonder why they were purchased; often this will be the explanation.
Requests: I welcome your requests for book and journal purchases. You may email Ruth directly or use the web forms: Recommend a book for purchase or Recommend a journal purchase or cancellation. Thank you!
This monthly Biology Library New Books List and News is distributed in a blog, a web site, and via email. If you would like to be added to the email distribution list, contact Ruth Lewis (phone 935-4819, email email@example.com)
Research Guide: Biology [ http://libguides.wustl.edu/biology ]