Biology News & New Books List
October 2012Link to top Biology page | Link to top News page | Link to News Blog
For the most frequent updates, subscribe to the RSS feed from the Biology Library News blog. Consult RSS for Biologists for tips on this or contact Ruth Lewis for help.
Proxy Server Login for Off-Campus Access to many resources below
- Upcoming classes: Topics include Twitter, Research management series featuring Zotero, Mendeley, Ipad productivity, Evernote. For more information see http://wulibraries.doattend.com/.
- Open Access news: Since Open Access Week is in October there have been many interesting blog posts, events, and announcements this month. Here is a small sampling:
-- If you missed an event last week, you may want to check Open Access Week 2012 links to webcast archive, slides, etc.
-- Open Access Explained!, 8 minute video from PHDComics. -- Open Access Publishing Accelerates the Pace of Conservation Biology, post by Joshua Drew, a lecturer at Columbia University
-- Ask RoMEO About Your Favorite Journal's Open Access Policy, ProfHacker post. When you ask me to add your publications to Open Scholarship Biology Faculty Publications, Romeo is the tool I use first to review your publishers' policies regarding which version can be included in our repository, whether an embargo is required, etc. Of course, I need to depend on you if you have successfully negotiated retention of more rights, possibly using an addendum to the copyright transfer agreement.
-- Nucleic Acids Research and Open Access
-- Anticipated new journal, eLife, publishes first articles
-- Nobel-Worthy Open Access Research, post about open access publishing practices of 2012 Nobel Prize winners.
- Interesting tidbits:
-- You may now check out Mac laptop chargers at Olin Library! More info.
-- Video tip of the week: OneZoom viewer for large phylogenetic trees
-- The Future of Energy, Episode #1 of Hold that Thought podcast series. Speakers include Robert Blankenship, Ursula Goodenough and Himadri Pakrasi. About 1 hour long.
-- ORCID (Open Researcher and Contributor ID) has been in the news a lot this month; ORCID has launched. What’s next?. Becker Medical Library has a helpful guide on Establishing Your Author Name; please look there for more information about ORCID, Scopus Author Identifier and ResearcherID. I'd love to hear from you about your experiences with these tools. I will try to have this information on our site soon, probably on the Research Impact and Evaluation pages.
- Blake S, Wikelski M, Cabrera F, Guezou A, Silva M, Sadeghayobi E, Yackulic CB, Jaramillo P. 2012. Seed dispersal by Galápagos tortoises. Journal of Biogeography 39(11):1961–1972. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Blankenship RE, Majumder EW, King JD. 2012. Alternative Complex III from phototrophic bacteria and its electron acceptor auracyanin. Biochim Biophys Acta 1817:S29. Fulltext for subscribers.
- Chien AC, Zareh SK, Wang YM, Levin PA. 2012. Changes in the oligomerization potential of the division inhibitor UgtP coordinate Bacillus subtilis cell size with nutrient availability. Mol Microbiol 86(3):594-610. PubMed abstract &l fulltext for subscribers, freely available 18 months after publication.
- Crandall RM, Platt WJ. 2012. Habitat and fire heterogeneity explain the co-occurrence of congeneric resprouter and reseeder Hypericum spp. along a Florida pine savanna ecocline. Plant Ecology 213(10):1643-1654. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Higo H, Tahir M, Takashima K, Miura A, Watanabe K, Tagiri A, Ugaki M, Ishikawa R, Eiguchi M, Kurata N, Sasaki T, Richards E, Takano M, Kishimoto N, Kakutani T, Habu Y. 2012. DDM1 (Decrease in DNA Methylation) genes in rice (Oryza sativa). Mol Genet Genomics 287(10):785-92. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Klug A, Borst JG, Carlson BA, Kopp-Scheinpflug C, Klyachko VA, Xu-Friedman MA. 2012. How Do Short-Term Changes at Synapses Fine-Tune Information Processing? J Neurosci 32(41):14058-14063. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers, freely available 6 months after publication.
- Lessard JP, Belmaker J, Myers JA, Chase JM, Rahbek C. 2012. Inferring local ecological processes amid species pool influences. Trends Ecol Evol 27(11):600-7. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Renan S, Speyer E, Shahar N, Gueta T, Templeton AR, Bar-David S. 2012. A factorial design experiment as a pilot study for noninvasive genetic sampling. Mol Ecol Resour 12(6):1040-7. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Riddle NC, Jung YL, Gu T, Alekseyenko AA, Asker D, Gui H, Kharchenko PV, Minoda A, Plachetka A, Schwartz YB, Tolstorukov MY, Kuroda MI, Pirrotta V, Karpen GH, Park PJ, Elgin SC. 2012. Enrichment of HP1a on Drosophila Chromosome 4 Genes Creates an Alternate Chromatin Structure Critical for Regulation in this Heterochromatic Domain. PLoS Genet 8(9):e1002954. PubMed abstract & open access fulltext..
- Saxer G, Havlak P, Fox SA, Quance MA, Gupta S, Fofanov Y, Strassmann JE, Queller DC. 2012. Whole Genome Sequencing of Mutation Accumulation Lines Reveals a Low Mutation Rate in the Social Amoeba Dictyostelium discoideum. PLoS One 7(10):e46759. PubMed abstract & open access fulltext.
- Scala C, Tian X, Mehdiabadi NJ, Smith MH, Saxer G, Stephens K, Buzombo P, Strassmann JE, Queller DC. 2012. Amino Acid Repeats Cause Extraordinary Coding Sequence Variation in the Social Amoeba Dictyostelium discoideum. PLoS One 2012;7(9):e46150. PubMed abstract & open access fulltext.
- Seppä P, Queller DC, Strassmann JE. 2012. Why wasp foundresses change nests: relatedness, dominance, and nest quality. PLoS One 7(9):e45386. PubMed abstract & open access fulltext.
- Shah VB, Orf GS, Reisch S, Harrington LB, Prado M, Blankenship RE, Biswas P. 2012. Characterization and deposition of various light-harvesting antenna complexes by electrospray atomization. Anal Bioanal Chem 404(8):2329-38. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Tang JK, You L, Blankenship RE, Tang YJ. 2012. Recent advances in mapping environmental microbial metabolisms through 13C isotopic fingerprints. J R Soc Interface 9(76):2767-80. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Vogl K, Tank M, Orf GS, Blankenship RE, Bryant DA. 2012. Bacteriochlorophyll f: properties of chlorosomes containing the "forbidden chlorophyll". Front Microbiol 3:298. PubMed abstract & open access fulltext.
- Yi H, Jez JM. 2012. Assessing functional diversity in the soybean Beta-substituted alanine synthase enzyme family.. Phytochemistry 83:15-24. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Zhang M, Ravillous GE, Hicks LM, Jez JM, McCulla RD. 2012. Redox switching of adenosine-5'-phosphosulfate kinase with photoactivatable atomic oxygen precursors. J Am Chem Soc 134(41):16979-82. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Zhu C, Dixit R. 2011. Functions of the Arabidopsis kinesin superfamily of microtubule-based motor proteins. Protoplasma 249(4):887-99. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Biology Faculty Publications in Open Scholarship: Please contact Ruth Lewis when you would like to have your recent publications included in Open Scholarship. I will take care of researching journal policies about repositories and uploading your documents when this is allowed. Let me know what questions you have.
- Full text, v.1, 2012+; open access; from Howard Hughes Medical Institute, the Max Planck Society, and Wellcome Trust. eLife web site.
Freely available from NCBI bookshelf:
Skeletal Muscle Circulation, Ronald J. Korthuis. 2011
A Stereotaxic Atlas Of The Brain Of The Zebra Finch, Taeniopygia Guttata, Barbara E Nixdorf-Bergweiler and Hans-Joachim Bischof. 2007
Serotonin Receptors in Neurobiology, Edited by Amitabha Chattopadhyay. 2007
From Oxford Scholarship Online: Neuroscience Sept. 2012 additions:
The Animal Spirit Doctrine and the Origins of Neurophysiology Smith, Frixione, Finger, Clower 2012
The Clinical Neurobiology of the Hippocampus Bartsch 2012
Epilepsy and Memory Zeman, Kapur, Jones-Gotman 2012
I Know What You're Thinking: Brain imaging and mental privacy Richmond, Rees, Edwards 2012
The Neuroscience of Tinnitus Eggermont 2012
Visual Aspects of Dyslexia Stein, Kapoula 2012
Brain Mapping: The Disorders, Edited by: John C. Mazziotta, Arthur W. Toga and Richard S.J. Frackowiak. 2000
Brain Mapping: The Methods (Second Edition), Edited by: Arthur W. Toga and John C. Mazziotta. 2002
Brain Mapping: The Systems, Edited by: Arthur W. Toga and John C. Mazziotta. 2000
Cell Biology: A Laboratory Handbook, 3rd ed Edited by: Julio E. Celis. 2006
Dazzle 'Em With Style: The Art of Oral Scientific Presentation, 2nd ed Robert R.H. Anholt. 2006
Evolution of the Genome, Edited by: T. Ryan Gregory. 2005
Handbook of Evaluation Methods for Health Informatics Jytte Brender. 2006
Hormones, 2nd ed Anthony W. Norman and Gerald Litwack. 1997
Human Nervous System, 2nd ed Edited by: George Paxinos and Jürgen K. Mai. 2004
The Kidney: From Normal Development to Congenital Disease, Edited by: Peter D. Vize, Adrian S. Woolf and Johnathan B.L. Bard. 2003
Medical Biochemistry, 4th ed N.V. Bhagavan. 2002
Myelin Biology and Disorders, Edited by:Robert A. Lazzarini, John W. Griffin, Hans Lassman, Klaus-Armin Nave, Robert Miller and Bruce D. Trapp. 2004.
Neurological Disorders: Course and Treatment, 2nd ed, Edited by: Thomas Brandt, Louis R. Caplan, Johannes Dichgans, H. Christoph Diener and Christopher Kennard. 2003
Rat Nervous System, 3rd ed, Edited by: George Paxinos. 2004
Regulatory Genome:Gene Regulatory Networks in Development and Evolution Eric H. Davidson. 2006
RNA Methodologies: A Laboratory Guide for Isolation and Characterization, 3rd ed Robert E. Farrell, Jr. 2005 [we also have the 4th ed]
Scientific Papers and Presentations, 3rd ed Martha Davis. 2012.
Statistics in Medicine, 2nd ed Robert H. Riffenburgh. 2006 [we also have the 3rd ed]
Translational Endocrinology of Bone: Reproduction, Metabolism, and the Central Nervous System 2012.
Writing Clinical Research Protocols: Ethical Considerations Evan G. DeRenzo, Ph.D., and Joel Moss, M.D., Ph.D. 2006
New Ebooks from Springer:
NOTE: Supplementary materials released with the print books (CD-ROMs, for example) are made available to the purchasers of the ebooks at http://extras.springer.com. Because I get these lists from compilations at Springer, there are always newer books available (which I will post next month). If you are looking for a book from Springer or a Springer-related publisher, it never hurts to search at http://www.springerlink.com/books.
NEWS: The 2013 packages for Biomedical & Life Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Computer Science, and Medicine have all been acquired, so we now have access to 2013 copyright year titles.
Adenosine: A Key Link between Metabolism and Brain Activity Susan Masino, Detlev Boison
Advanced Techniques in Diagnostic Microbiology, 2nd ed Yi-Wei Tang, Charles W. Stratton
Advanced Technologies for Managing Insect Pests Isaac Ishaaya, Subba Reddy Palli, A. Rami Horowitz
African Ethnobotany in the Americas Robert Voeks, John Rashford
Allelopathy: Current Trends and Future Applications Zahid A. Cheema, Muhammad Farooq, Abdul Wahid
Animal Models of Eating Disorders Nicole M. Avena Neuromethods 74
Animals in Traditional Folk Medicine: Implications for Conservation Rômulo Romeu Nóbrega Alves, Ierecê Lucena Rosa
Ascorbic Acid in Plants: Biosynthesis, Regulation and Enhancement Yuyang Zhang SpringerBriefs in Plant Science
Atlas of Stem Anatomy in Herbs, Shrubs and Trees, v.2 Fritz Hans Schweingruber, Annett Börner, Ernst-Detlef Schulze
Bacterial Fish Pathogens: Disease of Farmed and Wild Fish, 5th ed Brian Austin, Dawn A. Austin
Behavioral Lateralization in Vertebrates: Two Sides of the Same Coin Davide Csermely, Lucia Regolin
Behavioral Neurobiology of Alcohol Addiction Wolfgang H. Sommer, Rainer Spanagel Current Topics in Behavioral Neurosciences 13
Biophysical approaches to translational control of gene expression Jonathan D. Dinman Biophysics for the Life Sciences 1
Biotechnology for Medicinal Plants: Micropropagation and Improvement Suman Chandra, HEMANT LATA, Ajit Varma
Breeding strategies for sustainable forage and turf grass improvement Susanne Barth, Dan Milbourne
Building Babies: Primate Development in Proximate and Ultimate Perspective Kathryn B.H. Clancy, Katie Hinde, Julienne N. Rutherford Developments in Primatology: Progress and Prospects 37
Capybara: Biology, Use and Conservation of an Exceptional Neotropical Species José Roberto Moreira, Katia Maria P.M.B. Ferraz, Emilio A. Herrera, David W. Macdonald
Cerebral Blood Flow, Metabolism, and Head Trauma: The Pathotrajectory of Traumatic Brain Injury Christian W. Kreipke, Jose A. Rafols
Clinical Applications of Capillary Electrophoresis Terry M. Phillips, Heather Kalish Methods in Molecular Biology 919
Co-benefits of Sustainable Forestry: Ecological Studies of a Certified Bornean Rain Forest Kanehiro Kitayama Ecological Research Monographs
Complement Therapeutics John D. Lambris, V. Michael Holers, Daniel Ricklin Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 734
Computational Medicine: Tools and Challenges Zlatko Trajanoski
Computational Toxicology, v.1 Brad Reisfeld, Arthur N. Mayeno Methods in Molecular Biology 929
Conservation of Tropical Plant Species M.N. Normah, H.F. Chin, Barbara M. Reed
Corynebacterium glutamicum: Biology and Biotechnology Hideaki Yukawa, Masayuki Inui Microbiology Monographs 23
Craniofacial Muscles: A New Framework for Understanding the Effector Side of Craniofacial Muscle Control Linda K. McLoon, Francisco Andrade
Current Research in Acupuncture Ying Xia, Guanghong Ding, Gen-Cheng Wu
Deep Brain Stimulation: A New Frontier in Psychiatry Damiaan Denys, Matthijs Feenstra, Rick Schuurman
Developing Biofuel Bioprocesses Using Systems and Synthetic Biology Sylvia M. Clay, Stephen S. Fong SpringerBriefs in Systems Biology
Diabetes and Viruses Keith Taylor, Heikki Hyöty, Antonio Toniolo, Arie J. Zuckerman
DNA Repair of Cancer Stem Cells Lesley A. Mathews, Stephanie M. Cabarcas, Elaine M. Hurt
DNA Repair Protocols, 3rd ed Lotte Bjergbæk Methods in Molecular Biology 920
Doves, Diplomats, and Diabetes: A Darwinian Interpretation of Type 2 Diabetes and Related Disorders Milind Watve
Echinoderm Research and Diversity in Latin America Juan José Alvarado, Francisco Alonso Solis-Marin
ECTO-NOX Proteins: Growth, Cancer, and Aging D. James Morré, Dorothy M. Morré
Electric Cell-Substrate Impedance Sensing and Cancer Metastasis Wen G. Jiang Cancer Metastasis - Biology and Treatment 17
Emerging Concepts of Tumor Exosome–Mediated Cell-Cell Communication Huang-Ge Zhang
Epigenetic Alterations in Oncogenesis Adam R. Karpf Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 754
EuroQol Group after 25 years Richard Brooks
Evolutionary Biology: Mechanisms and Trends Pierre Pontarotti
Forest and Nature Governance: A Practice Based Approach Bas Arts, Jelle Behagel, Séverine van Bommel, Jessica Koning, Esther Turnhout World Forests 14
Frontiers in Sensing: From Biology to Engineering Friedrich G. Barth, Joseph A. C. Humphrey, Mandyam V. Srinivasan
Gametogenesis, Early Embryo Development and Stem Cell Derivation Tiziana A.L. Brevini, Georgia Pennarossa SpringerBriefs in Stem Cells
GAPDH: Biological Properties and Diversity Norbert W. Seidler Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 985
Genome-Wide Prediction and Analysis of Protein-Protein Functional Linkages in Bacteria Vijaykumar Yogesh Muley, Vishal Acharya SpringerBriefs in Systems Biology 2
Genomics of the Saccharinae Andrew H. Paterson Plant Genetics and Genomics: Crops and Models 11
Germ Cell Development in C. elegans Tim Schedl Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 757
Glioma Signaling Jolanta Bara?ska Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 986
Growth and Defence in Plants: Resource Allocation at Multiple Scales Rainer Matyssek, Hans Schnyder, Wolfgang Oßwald, Dieter Ernst, Jean Charles Munch, Hans Pretzsch Ecological Studies 220
Handbook of the Cerebellum and Cerebellar Disorders Mario Manto, Jeremy D. Schmahmann, Ferdinando Rossi, Donna L. Gruol, Noriyuki Koibuchi
Henipavirus: Ecology, Molecular Virology, and Pathogenesis Benhur Lee, Paul A. Rota Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology 359
HIV Interactions with Dendritic Cells: Infection and Immunity Li Wu, Olivier Schwartz Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 762
Integrating Face and Voice in Person Perception Pascal Belin, Salvatore Campanella, Thomas Ethofer
Isoprenoid Synthesis in Plants and Microorganisms: New Concepts and Experimental Approaches Thomas J. Bach, Michel Rohmer
Macaque Connection: Cooperation and Conflict between Humans and Macaques Sindhu Radhakrishna, Michael A. Huffman, Anindya Sinha Developments in Primatology: Progress and Prospects 43
Malaria, 2nd ed Robert Ménard Methods in Molecular Biology 923
Malignant Effusions: Pleuritis, Ascites, Pericardites Mikhail V. Kiselevsky
Mechanisms and Emerging Therapies in Tremor Disorders Giuliana Grimaldi, Mario Manto Contemporary Clinical Neuroscience
Medicinal Plants of Central Asia: Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan Sasha W. Eisenman, David E. Zaurov, Lena Struwe
Membrane Protein Structure and Dynamics Nagarajan Vaidehi, Judith Klein-Seetharaman Methods in Molecular Biology 914
Microdialysis in Drug Development Markus Müller AAPS Advances in the Pharmaceutical Sciences Series 4
MicroRNA in Cancer Suresh Alahari
Mitochondrial Disorders Caused by Nuclear Genes Lee-Jun C. Wong
Mitochondrial DNA, Mitochondria, Disease and Stem Cells Justin C. St. John Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine
Modelling of GPCRs: A Practical Handbook Andrea Strasser, Hans-Joachim Wittmann
Modern Clinical Trial Analysis Wan Tang, Xin Tu Applied Bioinformatics and Biostatistics in Cancer Research
Molecular Biology and Pathogenesis of Peste des Petits Ruminants Virus Muhammad Munir, Siamak Zohari, Mikael Berg SpringerBriefs in Animal Sciences
Mongolian Ecosystem Network: Environmental Issues Under Climate and Social Changes Norio Yamamura, Noboru Fujita, Ai Maekawa Ecological Research Monographs
Morphofunctional Aspects of Tumor Microcirculation Domenico Ribatti
Morphology and Evolution of Turtles Donald B. Brinkman, Patricia A. Holroyd, James D. Gardner Vertebrate Paleobiology and Paleoanthropology
Myelin Repair and Neuroprotection in Multiple Sclerosis Ian D. Duncan, Robin J.M. Franklin
Nanotoxicity Joshua Reineke Methods in Molecular Biology 926
Natural compounds as inducers of cell death, v.1 Marc Diederich, Karoline Noworyta
Notch Regulation of the Immune System Freddy Radtke Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology 360
Oxygen Transport to Tissue XXXIV William J. Welch, Fredrik Palm, Duane F. Bruley, David K. Harrison Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 765
p53 in the Clinics Pierre Hainaut, Magali Olivier, Klas G. Wiman
Pasteurella multocida: Molecular Biology, Toxins and Infection Klaus Aktories, Joachim H.C. Orth, Ben Adler Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology 361
Pediatric Injury Biomechanics: Archive & Textbook Jeff R. Crandall, Barry S. Myers, David F. Meaney, Salena Zellers Schmidtke
Phytochemicals, Plant Growth, and the Environment David R. Gang Recent Advances in Phytochemistry 42
Phytoplasma Matt Dickinson, Jennifer Hodgetts Methods in Molecular Biology 938
Principles of Statistical Genomics Shizhong Xu
Protein Dimerization and Oligomerization in Biology Jacqueline M. Matthews Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 747
Protein Supersecondary Structures Alexander E. Kister Methods in Molecular Biology 932
Rational Drug Design Yi Zheng Methods in Molecular Biology 928
Recent advances in crop protection P.Parvatha Reddy
Regenerative Medicine and Cell Therapy Hossein Baharvand, Nasser Aghdami Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine
Respiratory Regulation - Clinical Advances Mieczyslaw Pokorski Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 755
Respiratory Regulation - The Molecular Approach Mieczyslaw Pokorski Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 756
Single-Stranded DNA Binding Proteins James L. Keck Methods in Molecular Biology 922
Site-directed insertion of transgenes Sylvaine Renault, Philippe Duchateau Topics in Current Genetics 23
Spermatogenesis Douglas T. Carrell, Kenneth I. Aston Methods in Molecular Biology 927
Structural Biology: Practical NMR Applications, 2nd ed Quincy Teng
Studies on Women's Health Ashok Agarwal, Nabil Aziz, Botros Rizk Oxidative Stress in Applied Basic Research and Clinical Practice
Swimming Physiology of Fish: Towards Using Exercise to Farm a Fit Fish in Sustainable Aquaculture Arjan P. Palstra, Josep V. Planas
Systems Biology in Cancer Research and Drug Discovery Asfar S. Azmi
Systems Biology of Apoptosis Inna N. Lavrik
TRP Channels in Drug Discovery, v.1 Arpad Szallasi, Tamás Bíró Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology
Tumor Ablation: Effects on Systemic and Local Anti-Tumor Immunity and on Other Tumor-Microenvironment Interactions Yona Keisari The Tumor Microenvironment 5
Viral Infections of the Human Nervous System Alan C. Jackson Birkhäuser Advances in Infectious Diseases
Xenopus Protocols: Post-Genomic Approaches, 2nd ed Stefan Hoppler, Peter D Vize Methods in Molecular Biology 917
Paper books Click on the title for more info or to request. Note: "In Process" titles may still be REQUESTED so the book will be held for you when it is available.
Host manipulation by parasites / edited by David P. Hughes, Jacques Brodeur, Frédéric Thomas. Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2012.
Regenesis : how synthetic biology will reinvent nature and ourselves / George Church and Ed Regis. New York : Basic Books, c2012.
Science of human perfection : how genes became the heart of American medicine / Nathaniel Comfort. New Haven : Yale University Press, c2012.
Stardust revolution : the new story of our origin in the stars / Jacob Berkowitz. Amherst, N.Y. : Prometheus Books, 2012.
Requests: I welcome your requests for book and journal purchases. You may email Ruth directly or use the web forms: Recommend a book for purchase or Recommend a journal purchase or cancellation. Thank you!
This monthly Biology Library New Books List and News is distributed in a blog, a web site, and via email. If you would like to be added to the email distribution list, contact Ruth Lewis (phone 935-4819, email email@example.com)
Research Guide: Biology [ http://libguides.wustl.edu/biology ]