Biology News & New Books List
May 2008Link to top News page | Link to News Blog
For the most frequent updates, subscribe to the RSS feed from the Biology Library News blog. Consult RSS for Biologists for tips on this or contact Ruth Lewis for help.
Proxy Server Login for Off-Campus Access to many resources below
- Proxy Options for Off-Campus Access details some other options when you don't use the proxy-enabled links from the library web site or the Proxy Server Login directly.
- Reset your library password 24/7: There is now a form available to re-set a lost or forgotten library password. For more information please see http://library.wustl.edu/whatsnew/index.html#servs. Please note: the requested email may be either your @wustl.edu address or your @artsci... or @biology... address. If the automated forms don't solve your problems, I welcome your visits, calls and emails.
- Interesting reading for grad students, postdocs and their mentors:
- How to succeed in science: a concise guide for young biomedical scientists, part 1: Taking the Plunge and part 2 Making Discoveries,from Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology May and June, 2008, respectively.
- Finding work in a science-related field: where do you begin?
- Ten Simple Rules series, written by PLoS Computational Biology Editor-in-Chief Philip E. Bourne, sometimes with collaborators: Ten Simple Rules for... Doing your Best Research, a Good Poster Presentation, Making Good Oral Presentations, a Successful Collaboration, Selecting a Postdoctoral Position, for Reviewers, for Getting Grants, for Getting Published, for Graduate Students, for Aspiring Scientists in a Low-Income Country. [as seen in Univ. of Colorado Denver Health Sciences Library newsletter]
- Medline news
I usually don't alert you to NLM Technical Bulletin stories but several seem important this month!
- Look for the Advanced Search Beta link next to the PubMed search box and try this. More info. Since it's "beta", comments are welcome via Write to the Help Desk link on the bottom of PubMed pages.
- Automatic term mapping and Citation sensor - more changes in PubMed which you may want to know about
- Authorship in Medline, a new NLM factsheet that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know. I hadn't known about the differentiations between authors, group authors, and collaborators.
- Wiley-Blackwell responds to NIH Public Access Policy: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/bauthor/CTA.asp (NIH is at the bottom of the page). "Wiley-Blackwell will support our authors by posting the accepted version of articles by NIH grant-holders to PubMed Central upon acceptance by the journal..." See also the earlier story: Publishers and libraries respond to NIH public access policy.
- Two authors' rights stories:
- Rockefeller University Press has announced that it will follow a Creative Commons license for its journals, Journal of Cell Biology, Journal of Experimental Medicine and Journal of General Physiology. More info: You wrote it; you own it! | Discussion in Open Access News
- Publish AND Perish? Protecting Your Copyrights From Your Publisher, by Jonathan Band, from the American Society for Cell Biology Newsletter (May 2008). I think this is interesting because it addresses so many common ideas about copyright which turn out not to be true.
- Science 2.0 -- Is Open Access Science the Future? Is posting raw results online, for all to see, a great tool or a great risk?, by M. Mitchell Waldrop. I thought this was an interesting post at sciam.com as a follow-up from last month's links in Freely available in PMC may not be enough.
- Best Sellers in Microbiology, August 2007–present, as compiled by YBP Library Services. Titles are linked to local catalogs when available.
1. Good Germs, Bad Germs: Health and Survival in a Bacterial World Sachs, Jessica Snyder Hill & Wang 2007. ISBN 0809050633 . $25.00
2. In Defense of Self: How the Immune System Really Works Clark, William R. Oxford University Press 2008. ISBN 0195336631 . $75.00
3. Janeway's Immunobiology Murphy, Kenneth, et al. Garland 2008. ISBN 0815341237 . $95.95
4. Mims' Medical Microbiology Goering, Richard et al. Elsevier Mosby 2008. ISBN 0323044751 . $69.95
5. Food Microbiology Adams, Martin R. Royal Society Chemistry 2008. ISBN 0854042849 . $59.95
6. Kuby Immunology Kindt, Thomas J. W H Freeman 2007. ISBN 1429202114 . $108.65
7. Evolutionary Biology of Bacterial and Fungal Pathogens Baquero, Fernando American Society for Microbiology 2008. ISBN 155581414x . $119.95
8. 20th Century Microbe Hunters: Their Lives, Accomplishments, and Legacies Krasner, Robert I. Jones & Bartlett 2008. ISBN 0763742015 . $34.95
9. Basic Virology Wagner, Edward et al. Blackwell 2008. ISBN 1405147156 . $100.00
10. Viruses and Human Disease Strauss, James H. Elsevier Academic Press 2008. ISBN 0123737419 . $79.95
11. Microbial Risk Analysis of Foods Schaffner, Donald W. American Society for Microbiology 2008. ISBN 1555814611 . $99.95
12. Superantigens: Molecular Basis for Their Role in Human Diseases Kotb, Malak American Society for Microbiology 2007. ISBN 1555814247 . $129.95
13. Foodborne Diseases Simjee, Shabbir Humana 2007. ISBN 1588295184 . $149.00
14. Thermophiles: Biology and Technology at High Temperatures Robb, Frank CRC Press 2008. ISBN 0849392144 . $159.95
15. Myxobacteria: Multicellularity and Differentiation Whitworth, David American Society for Microbiology 2008. ISBN 1555814204 . $169.95
16. Nidoviruses Perlman, Stanley American Society for Microbiology 2008. ISBN 1555814557 . $169.95
17. Biofilm Mode of Life: Mechanisms and Adaptations Kjelleberg. Staffan Horizon Bioscience 2007. ISBN 1904933335 . $208.00
18. Handbook of Food Spoilage Yeasts Deak, Tibor CRC Press 2008. ISBN 1420044931  $149.95
19. Agrobacterium: From Biology to Biotechnology [online at WU] Tzvi Tzfira Springer 2008. ISBN 0387722890 . $149.00
20. Mucosal Immune Defense: Immunoglobulin A [online at WU] Kaetzel, Charlotte Slayton Springer 2007. ISBN 0387722319 . $129.00
This PubMed search link will retrieve most WU Biology Dept. researchers' publications, plus a few in biomedical engineering, chemistry, etc. (Strategy is biology [ad] AND washington university [ad] AND 63130 [ad]).
- Aponte JC, Estevez Y, Gilman RH, Lewis WH, Rojas R, Sauvain M, Vaisberg AJ, Hammond GB. 2008. Anti-infective and cytotoxic compounds present in Blepharodon nitidum. Planta Medica 74:407-410. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers; WU does not subscribe online.
- Bar-David S, Segev O, Peleg N, Hill N, Templeton AR, Schuutz CB, Blaustein L. 2007. Long-distance movements by fire salamanders (Salamandra infraimmaculata) and implications for habitat fragmentation. Israel J Ecol Evol 53:143-159. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers; WU does not subscribe.
- Burns JH. 2008. Demographic performance predicts invasiveness of species in the Commelinaceae under high-nutrient conditions. Ecol Appl 18:335-346. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Freeman GM, Webb AB, An S, Herzog ED. 2008. For whom the bells toll: Networked circadian clocks. Sleep Biol Rhythms 6:67-75. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Morrison JK, Miller KG. 2008. Genetic characterization of the Drosophila jaguar322 mutant reveals that complete myosin VI loss of function is not lethal. Genetics 179:711-6. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers, free 3 months after publication.
- Richard-Fogal CL, Frawley ER, Kranz RG. 2008. Topology and function of CcmD in cytochrome c maturation. J Bacteriol 190:3489-93. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers; free 4 months after publication.
- Roth JD, Murray DL, Steury TD. 2008. Spatial dynamics of sympatric canids: Modeling the impact of coyotes on red wolf recovery. Ecological Modelling 214:391-403. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers; WU does not subscribe.
- Templeton AR, Neuwald JL, Brazeal H, Robertson RJ. 2007. Restoring demographic processes in translocated populations: The case of collared lizards in the Missouri Ozarks using prescribed forest fires. Israel J Ecol Evol 53:179-196. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers; WU does not subscribe.
- Yi H, Richards EJ. 2008. Phenotypic instability of Arabidopsis alleles affecting a disease Resistance gene cluster. BMC Plant Biol 8:36. PubMed abstract & free fulltext .
*** Indicates an addition or change to the Biology Electronic Journals page [ http://library.wustl.edu/subjects/life/ejournals.html ]
- ***Biochemical Society Symposia
- Full text, v.61,1995; v.66, 1999+; WU access only; Portland Press.
- ***Botanical Review
- Full text, v.74, 2008+; WU access only; Springerlink.
- ***Economic Botany
- Full text, v.1, 1947+ [with a few gaps]; WU access only; Springer.
- ***Insect Conservation and Diversity
- Full text, v.1, 2008+; WU access only; Wiley-Blackwell; comes on our standing order for Ecological Entomology.
- ***Journal of Embryology and Experimental Morphology
- Full text, v.1-98, 1953-1986; freely available; Company of Biologists; 1987+ title changed to Development.
- ***Microbial Biotechnology
- Full text, v.1, 2008; freely available in 2008; Wiley-Blackwell.
- ***PMC Biophysics
- Full text, v.1, 2008+; freely available; PhysMath Central.
New on ScienceDirect:
Methods in Cell Biology, v.87 (2008): Avian Embryology, 2nd Edition
Advances in Applied Microbiology, v.64 (2008)
Methods in Enzymology, v.429 (2007) Translation Initiation: Extract Systems and Molecular Genetics
Methods in Enzymology, v.430 (2007) Translation Initiation: Reconstituted Systems and Biophysical Methods
Methods in Enzymology, v.431 (2007) Translation Initiation: Cell Biology, High?Throughput Methods, and Chemical?Based Approaches
New from Springerprotocols (formerly Biomedprotocols)[These will be added to Becker Medical Library Catalog but not to our library catalog]:
Vascular Biology Protocols Methods in Molecular Medicine , v.139
Tissue Engineering Methods in Molecular Medicine , v. 140
Clinical Bioinformatics Methods in Molecular Medicine, v. 141
New Antibiotic Targets Methods in Molecular Medicine, v.142
Patch-Clamp Analysis: Advanced TechniquesNeuromethods, v.38
Neuropeptide Techniques Neuromethods, v.39
Cancer Genomics and Proteomics: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 383
Capillary Electrophoresis: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 384
Microchip-Based Assay Systems: Methods and Applications Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 385
Peptide Characterization and Application Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 386
Serial Analysis of Gene Expression (SAGE): Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 387
Baculovirus Expression Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 388
Baculovirus and Insect Cell Expression Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 388
Pichia Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 389
Protein Targeting Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 390
Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 391
Molecular Motors: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 392
Plant Secondary Metabolites Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 393
Salmonella: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 394
Comparative Genomics Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 396
Hedgehog Signaling Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 397
Lipid Rafts Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 398
Neuroprotection Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 399
Methods in Membrane Lipids Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 400
Neuroinformatics Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 401
Topics in Biostatistics Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 404
Telomerase Inhibition: Strategies and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 405
Plant Bioinformatics: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 406
Stem Cell Assays Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 407
Gene Function Analysis Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 408
Immunoinformatics: Predicting Immunogenicity In Silico Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 409
Environmental Genomics Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 410
Reporter Genes: A Practical Guide Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 411
Neutrophil Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 412
Protein Structure Prediction Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 413
Apoptosis and Cancer: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 414
Innate Immunity Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 415
Microbial Gene Essentiality: Protocols and Bioinformatics Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 416
Avidin–Biotin Interactions: Methods and Applications Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 418
Post-Transcriptional Gene Regulation Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 419
Affinity Chromatography: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 421
Electroporation Protocols: Preclinical and Clinical Gene Medicine Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 423
2D PAGE: Sample Preparation and Fractionation Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 424
2D PAGE: Sample Preparation and Fractionation Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 425
Plant Embryogenesis Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 427
Clinical Proteomics: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 428
Hematopoietic Stem Cell Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 430
Bacterial Pathogenesis: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 431
Organelle Proteomics Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 432
Gene Therapy Protocols: Design and Characterization of Gene Transfer Vectors Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 434
Chromosomal Mutagenesis Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 435
Avian Influenza Virus Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 436
Drug Delivery Systems Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 437
Neural Stem Cells: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 438
Genomics Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 439
Exocytosis and Endocytosis Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 440
Tissue Proteomics Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 441
RNAi: Design and Application Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 442
Molecular Modeling of Proteins Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 443
Prenatal Diagnosis Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 444
Autophagosome and Phagosome Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 445
Post-translational Modifi cations of Proteins: Tools for Functional Proteomics Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 446
Alcohol: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 447
Pharmacogenomics in Drug Discovery and Development: From Bench to Bedside Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 448
Mesenchymal Stem Cells: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 449
Germline Stem Cells Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 450
Plant Virology Protocols: From Viral Sequence to Protein Function Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 451
Osteoporosis: Methods and Protocols Methods in Molecular Biology , v. 455
New Ebooks from Springer:
Molecular Biology in Plant Pathogenesis and Disease Management, v.1: Microbial Plant Pathogens
Molecular Biology in Plant Pathogenesis and Disease Management, v.2: Disease Development
Molecular Biology in Plant Pathogenesis and Disease Management, v.3: Disease Management
Fish Bioacoustics (Springer Handbook of Auditory Research, v.32)
Encyclopedia of South American Aquatic Insects: Odonata - Zygoptera: Illustrated Keys to Known Families, Genera, and Species in South America
Human Cytomegalovirus (Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology, v.325)
Abl Family Kinases in Development and Disease (Molecular Biology Intelligence Unit)
Eighteenth International Seaweed Symposium: Proceedings of the Eighteenth International Seaweed Symposium, held in Bergen, Norway, 20 – 25 June 2004 (Developments in Applied Phycology, v.1)
Prenatal Mouse Brain Atlas: Color images and annotated diagrams of: Gestational Days 12, 14, 16 and 18 Sagittal, coronal and horizontal section
GtBP Family Proteins (Molecular Biology Intelligence Unit)
Molecular mechanisms of phagocytosis (Medical intelligence unit)
Endosomes (Molecular Biology Intelligence Unit)
Genetics and Genomics of Soybean (Plant Genetics and Genomics: Crops and Models, v.2)
Molecular Mechanisms of Exocytosis (Molecular Biology Intelligence Unit)
Molecular Mechanisms of Exocytosis (Molecular Biology Intelligence Unit)
The Role of Wnt Signalling in the Development of Somites and Neural Crest (Advances in Anatomy Embryology and Cell Biology, v.195)
Actin-Monomer-Binding Proteins(Molecular Biology Intelligence Unit)
Introduction to Systems Biology
Plant Growth Signaling (Plant cell monographs, v.10)
Orphan G Protein-Coupled Receptors and Novel Neuropeptides (Results and Problems in Cell Differentiation, v.46)
Mammalian Evolutionary Morphology: A Tribute to Frederick S. Szalay
The Forest and the City:The Cultural Landscape of Urban Woodland
Wildlife Study Design
Shh and Gli Signalling and Development(Molecular Biology Intelligence Unit)
Bioenergetics: Energy Conservation and Conversion (Results and Problems in Cell Differentiation, v.45)
Concise Encyclopedia of Statistics
Print books - For more information on many of these books, please search the Catalog by title, keywords or author.
May 2, 2008 - May 9, 2008 Alternative reproductive tactics : an integrative approach. QL761 .A48 2008 Analysis of variance and covariance : how to... Doncaster, C. Patrick. QH323.5 .D655 2007 Biology under the influence : dialectical... Lewontin, Richard C. QH331 .L5355 2007 Biophysical analysis of membrane proteins : investigating... QP552.M44 B56 2008 DNA : promise and peril. McCabe, Linda L. RB155 .M2914 2008 Life in cold blood. Attenborough, David, QL644 .A88 2008 Mean and lowly things : snakes, science,... Jackson, Kate, QL31.J23 A3 2008 More than Darwin : an encyclopedia of the... Moore, Randy. QH360.2 .M66 2008 Neurophysiological basis of movement. Latash, Mark L. QP301 .L364 2008 May 9, 2008 - May 16, 2008 Advances in applied microbiology. Review Serial v.63 (2008) Bacterial physiology and metabolism Kim, Byung Hong. QR88 .K56 2008 Beautiful minds : the parallel lives of great apes and dolphins Bearzi, Maddalena. QL737.P96 B39 2008 The cyanobacteria : molecular biology, genomics, and evolution QR99.63 .C92 2008 Gradients in a tropical mountain ecosystem of Ecuador also online at WU QH123 .G73 2008 Max Perutz and the secret of life Ferry, Georgina. QH31.P248 F47 2008 Monitoring and modelling lakes and coastal environments QH541.15.M64 M655 2008 A primer on natural resource science Guthery, Fred S. Q175 .G865 2008 Strickberger's evolution : the integration of genes, organisms and populations Hall, Brian Keith QH366.2 .S78 2008 May 16, 2008 - May 23, 2008 Advances in agronomy. Review Serial v.97 (2008) and online Analysis of microarray data : a network-based approach QP624.5.D726 .A63 2008 Annual review of immunology Review Serial v.26 (2008) and online The AT-hook containing proteins SOB3/AHL29 and ES... Street, Ian Howell. LD5791.8.PhD2007 S84 and online Case studies in immunology : a clinical companion Geha, Raif S. RC582 .R67 2008 The emergence of genetic rationality : space, time, & information in American biological science, 1870-1920 Thurtle, Phillip. QH428.2.U6 T48 2007 In pursuit of the gene : from Darwin to DNA Schwartz, James QH428 .S24 2008 Lia1p and Die5p, DNA rearrangement proteins in Tetrahymena... Rexer, Charles Howard. LD5791.8.PhD2007 R49 and online Philosophy of biology : a contemporary introduction Rosenberg, Alexander QH331 .R667 2008 Protein evolution Patthy, Laszlo. QP551 .P354 2008 Regulation of FTSZ assembly and cell division in bacteria. Weart, Richard Bradley. LD5791.8.PhD2007 W38 and online Vibrational communication in animals Hill, Peggy S. M. QL776 .H55 2008 May 23, 2008 - May 30, 2008 Analysis of evolutionary processes : the adaptive... Dercole, Fabio. QH371.3.M37 D47 2008 Annual review of immunology. Review serial v.24 (2006) Biosafety first : holistic approaches to risk and ... QH442.6 .B56 2007 Coordination : neural, behavioral and social dynamics. QP363.3 .C6717 2008 Environmental science. Ahluwalia, V. K. GE105 .A37 2008 Methods in cell biology - Stem cell culture. QH585 .P7 v.86 (2008) Plant tropisms. QK745 .P59 2008 Rebel giants : the revolutionary lives of Abraham... Contosta, David R. E457.2 .C76 2008 May 30, 2008 - June 6, 2008 Evidence and evolution : the logic behind... Sober, Elliott. QH360.5 .S625 2008 Fundamental neuroscience. QP355.2 .F86 2008 Selection : the mechanism of evolution. Bell, Graham. QH375 .B44 2008
This monthly Biology Library New Books List and News is distributed in a blog and via email. If you would like to be added to the email distribution list, contact Ruth Lewis (phone 935-4819, email email@example.com)
Subject Guide: Life Sciences [ http://library.wustl.edu/subjects/life ]