Biology News & New Books List
January 2008Link to top News page | Link to News Blog
For the most frequent updates, subscribe to the RSS feed from the Biology Library News blog. Consult RSS for Biologists for tips on this or contact Ruth Lewis for help.
Proxy Server Login for Off-Campus Access to many resources below
- SciFinder Web (Chemical Abstracts and more) is now available! It requires an individual logon. Use this registration form to sign up for your account; this requires a 'wustl.edu' email address and must be done from a 'wustl.edu" IP address. Also, since this is a secure site, accessing it from off-campus via the proxy server will give you a certificate error. Click continue or OK to access SciFinder via the web. Many biofolk will find this a very useful database (and the web is much more convenient than downloading the client software or using the client software on a library workstation) so I strongly encourage you to check this out. More info.
- Mark your calendars please for the Biology Seminar, Monday, Feb. 18, 4 pm, Rebstock 322. Cathy Sarli, from Becker Medical Library, and I will talk about the NIH public access mandate and begin to answer your questions. We may not be able to answer them all but we can get back with you on the ones we can't answer! There will also be an update on changes in the Biology Library. If you are funded by NIH, you may also want to look at the recent Update on the Revised NIH Public Access Policy (pdf from Becker Library). The NIH Public Access FAQ has also been updated this month. Of course, you do not need to wait until Feb. 18th! I hope you will send your questions and concerns about complying with this new law at any time. You can send to Ruth Lewis and/or Cathy Sarli .
- Images and more in the catalog: As reported in What's New, many entries in our catalog now include cover images, links to reviews, author notes, etc.
- Science will continue to be added to JSTOR! AAAS has reversed its plan to stop adding Science to JSTOR with 2002 which I bemoaned last summer. This is excellent news in many ways. More info.
- Safari Tech Books online expanded! The subjects of most of these online books are computing, databases, networking, operating systems, programming, software engineering, .NET, Cisco products, Web design, Java, XML, etc., however some bioinformatics books are included also.
- Please report any problems with fulltext journal access promptly to Ruth Lewis. This is the time of year when many titles stop working. The sooner we identify them, the sooner we can fix the problems.
- Miscellaneous tidbits that seemed interesting to me. I hope you find some of them valuable:
- Earning of life sciences researchers (Nat. Biotech. 26, 14; 2008)
- Two collection of essays from Nature: Connections and Science and Politics. More info
- Science's take on the NIH Public Access Mandate: Uncle Sam's Biomedical Archive Wants Your Papers
- New in the Nature Suppplements collection: Proteins to proteomes
- Interesting entries on the validity of impact factors: http://library.duke.edu/blogs/scholcomm/2007/12/21/bad-impact/; http://scilibupdate.blogspot.com/2007/12/validity-of-journal-impact-factors.html. Both of these are responding to an editorial published in the Journal of Cell Biology, Show me the data, by Mike Rossner, Heather Van Epps, and Emma Hill.
- Our own Barbara Schaal and Peter Raven are both on the authoring committee of the new NAS book Science, Evolution and Creationism [freely available online; sign-in required); PDF Executive Summary
- Nature is now using a creative commons licence for papers that include the primary sequence of an organism's genome for the first time. This allows more powerful re-use and text-mining that the standard arrangement where the publisher requires an author to sign over all or most of their copyrights at publication. More info.
- Stevens Seventy Greatest Science Books, 1900+ (from Stevens Institute Center for Science Writing) [Thanks to John Dupuis]
- International Field Guides -- a searchable database of field guides in print
- Best Sellers in History of Science, June 2007–present, as compiled by YBP Library Services. Titles are linked to local catalogs when available.
1. Smoot's Ear: The Measure of Humanity Tavernor, Robert Yale University Press 2007. ISBN 0300124929 . $25.00
2. Supercontinent: Ten Billion Years in the Life of Our Planet Nield, Ted Harvard University Press 2007. ISBN 0674026594 . $29.95
3. Guinea Pig's History of Biology Endersby, Jim Harvard University Press 2007. ISBN 0674027132 . $27.95
4. Telescope: Its History, Technology, and Future Andersen, Geoff Princeton University Press 2007. ISBN 0691129797 . $29.95
5. Ocean of Air: Why the Wind Blows and Other Mysteries of the Atmosphere Walker, Gabrielle Harcourt Trade 2007. ISBN 0151011249 . $25.00
6. Benjamin Franklin's Numbers: An Unsung Mathematical Odyssey Pasles, Paul C. Princeton University Press 2008. ISBN 0691129568 . $26.95
7. Good Germs, Bad Germs: Health and Survival in a Bacterial World Sachs, Jessica Snyder Hill & Wang 2007. ISBN 0809050633 . $25.00
8. Avoid Boring People: Lessons from a Life in Science Watson, James D. Alfred A Knopf 2007. ISBN 0375412840 . $26.95
9. Lives of the Planets: A Natural History of the Solar System Corfield, R. Basic Books 2007. ISBN 0465014038 . $27.50
10. Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain Wolf, Maryanne HarperCollins 2007. ISBN 0060186399 . $25.95
11. Jewel House: Elizabethan London and the Scientific Revolution Harkness, Deborah E. Yale University Press 2007. ISBN 0300111967 . $32.50
12. Science Talk: Changing Notions of Science in American Popular Culture Thurs, Daniel Patrick Rutgers University 2007. ISBN 0813540739 . $44.95
13. Technology and Culture in Greek and Roman Antiquity Cuomo, S. (Serafina) Cambridge University Press 2007. ISBN 0521810736 . $80.00
14. Apollo's Fire: A Day on Earth in Nature and Imagination Sims, Michael Viking 2007. ISBN 0670063282 . $24.95
15. Blue Death: Disease, Disaster, and the Water We Drink Morris, Robert D. HarperCollins 2007. ISBN 0060730897 . $24.95
16. Evolution: A Historical Perspective Brown, Bryson Greenwood 2007. ISBN 0313334617 . $65.00 More info - Please let Ruth know if you think we need to buy this!
17. Archimedes Codex: How a Medieval Prayer Book Is Revealing the True Genius of Antiquity's Greatest Scientist Netz, Reviel Perseus 2007. ISBN 030681580x . $27.50
18. Quirky Sides of Scientists: True Tales of Ingenuity and Error from Physics and Astronomy Topper, David R. Springer 2007. ISBN 0387710183 . $39.95
19. Shock Therapy: A History of Electroconvulsive Treatment in Mental Illness Shorter, Edward Rutgers University 2007. ISBN 0813541697 . $27.95
20. Balance: In Search of the Lost Sense McCredie, Scott Little, Brown 2007. ISBN 0316011355 . $24.99
This PubMed search link will retrieve most WU Biology Dept. researchers' publications, plus a few in biomedical engineering, chemistry, etc. (Strategy is biology [ad] AND washington university [ad] AND 63130 [ad]).
- Beck JB, Schmuths H, Schaal BA. 2008. Native range genetic variation in Arabidopsis thaliana is strongly geographically structured and reflects Pleistocene glacial dynamics. Mol Ecol 17:902-15. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Berg RH, Beachy RN. 2008. Fluorescent protein applications in plants. Methods Cell Biol 85:153-77. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Chen M, Zhang Y, Blankenship RE. 2008. Nomenclature for membrane-bound light-harvesting complexes of cyanobacteria. Photosynth Res 95:147-54. PubMed abstract | Fulltext for subscribers.
- Gross BL, Turner KG, Rieseberg LH. 2007. Selective sweeps in the homoploid hybrid species Helianthus deserticola: evolution in concert across populations and across origins. Mol Ecol 16: 5246-5258. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Haag JR, Pikaard CS. 2007. RNA polymerase I: a multifunctional molecular machine. Cell 131:1224-5. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers; free 12 months after publication.
- Jez JM, Schachtman DP, Berg RH, Taylor CG, Chen S, Hicks LM, Jaworski JG, Smith TJ, Nielsen E, Pikaard CS. 2007. Developing a new interdisciplinary lab course for undergraduate and graduate students: Plant cells and proteins. Biochem Mol Biol Educ 35: 410-415. Abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Mather KA, Caicedo AL, Polato NR, Olsen KM, McCouch S, Purugganan MD. 2007. The extent of linkage disequilibrium in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Genetics 177:2223-32. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers, free 3 months after publication.
- Rensing SA, Lang D, Zimmer AD, Terry A, Salamov A, Shapiro H, Nishiyama T, Perroud PF, Lindquist EA, Kamisugi Y, Tanahashi T, Sakakibara K, Fujita T, Oishi K, Shin-I T, Kuroki Y, Toyoda A, Suzuki Y, Hashimoto SI, Yamaguchi K, Sugano S, Kohara Y, Fujiyama A, Anterola A, Aoki S, Ashton N, Barbazuk WB, Barker E, Bennetzen JL, Blankenship R, Cho SH, Dutcher SK, Estelle M, Fawcett JA, Gundlach H, Hanada K, Heyl A, Hicks KA, Hughes J, Lohr M, Mayer K, Melkozernov A, Murata T, Nelson DR, Pils B, Prigge M, Reiss B, Renner T, Rombauts S, Rushton PJ, Sanderfoot A, Schween G, Shiu SH, Stueber K, Theodoulou FL, Tu H, Van de Peer Y, Verrier PJ, Waters E, Wood A, Yang L, Cove D, Cuming AC, Hasebe M, Lucas S, Mishler BD, Reski R, Grigoriev IV, Quatrano RS, Boore JL. 2008. The Physcomitrella Genome Reveals Evolutionary Insights into the Conquest of Land by Plants. Science 319 (5859): 64-69. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers | In the news: Moss genome tells of origin of land plants, WUSTL researchers spearhead key genome initiative: Findings promising for plant science, agriculture and human health.
- Sanger TJ, Losos JB, Gibson-Brown JJ. 2008. A developmental staging series for the lizard genus Anolis: A new system for the integration of evolution, development, and ecology. J Morphol 269:129-37. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Silva MC, Boersma PD, Mackay S, Strange I. 2007. Egg size and parental quality in thin-billed prions, Pachyptila belcheri: effects on offspring fitness. Animal Behaviour 74:1403-1412/ Abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Strasburg JL, Gross BL. 2008. Adapting to winter in wheat: a long-term study follows parallel phenotypic and genetic changes in three experimental wheat populations. Mol Ecol 17:716-8. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Suga N. 2008. Role of corticofugal feedback in hearing. J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 194:169-83. PubMed abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
- Torke BM, Schaal BA. 2008. Molecular phylogenetics of the species-rich neotropical genus Swartzia (Leguminosae, Papilionoideae) and related genera of the swartzioid clade. 95:215-228. Amer J Botany Abstract & fulltext for subscribers.
*** Indicates an addition or change to the Biology Electronic Journals page [ http://library.wustl.edu/subjects/life/ejournals.html ]
- Brill has added access to backfiles for online subscribers so we now have v.1+ Amphibia-Reptilia and v.2, 1950+ Behaviour.
- ***Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden
- Full text, v.93, 2006+; WU access only; BioOne.
- ***Avian Diseases Digest
- Full text, v.1, 2006+; WU access only; BioOne.
- ***Bentham Open Access
- Full text, 2007+; freely available; titles include Open Biochemistry Journal, Open Bioinformatics Journal, Open Biology Journal, Open Biomarkers Journal, Open Biotechnology Journal, Open Cell & Developmental Biology Journal, Open Conservation Biology Journal, Current Chemical Genomics, Open Ecology Journal, Open Entomology Journal, Open Environmental Journal, Open Environmental & Biological Monitoring Journal, Open Evolution Journal, Open Genomics Journal, Open Marine Biology Journal, Open Microbiology Journal, Open Neuroscience Journal, Open Ornithology Journal, Open Plant Science Journal, Open Proteomics Journal, Open Structural Biology Journal, Open Zoology Journal, and many more.
- Full text, v.86, 2007+; WU access only; NRC Research Press. Formerly: Canadian Journal of Botany.
- Full text, v.6, 2004+; freely available; BioOne.
- ***Environmental Microbiology
- Full text, v.1, 1999+; WU access only; Synergy
- ***Evolutionary Applications
- Full text, v.1, 2008; freely available during 2008; Synergy; we do not have paid access to this title.
- ***Food & Nutrition Research
- Full text, v.52, 2008+; freely available.
- ***Journal of Applied Ecology
- v.35, 1998+; WU access only; freely available 2 years after publication; Synergy.
- ***Journal of Proteomics
- Full text, v.71, 2008+; WU access only; Science Direct; formerly: Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical Methods.
- ***Molecular Ecology Resources
- Full text, v.8, 2008+; WU access only; Synergy; formerly Molecular Ecology Notes.
- ***Molecular Plant
- Full text, v.1, 2008; freely available for first year; Oxford/Highwire.
- ***Neotropical Primates
- Full text, v.8:no.2, 2000+; v.1-8, 1993-2000; v.12-13, 2004-2005; freely available.
- Full text, v.16, 2006+; WU access only; BioOne.
- ***Scandinavian Journal of Food & Nutrition
- Full text, v.50-51, 2006-2007; freely available; 2008+ has title Food and Nutrition Research.
- ***Scandinavian Journal of Food & Nutrition
- Full text, v.46-49, 2002-2005; freely available.
New Ebooks from Springer:
Model Based Inference in the Life Sciences: A Primer on Evidence
Visualization in Medicine and Life Sciences
Natural Compounds as Drugs, v.1
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Solutions Using R and Bioconductor
Aquaculture in the Ecosystem
Toward Agroforestry Design: An Ecological Approach (Advances in Agroforestry, v.4)
Lagomorph Biology: Evolution, Ecology, and Conservation
Forest Environments in the Mekong River Basin
Gene Expression and Regulation
Specialization and Complementation of Humoral Immune Responses to Infection(Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology, v.319)
The Human Central Nervous System, 4th ed
Killer Cell Dynamics: Mathematical and Computational Approaches to Immunology
RNA Interference(Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology, v.320)
Mathematical Modeling for the Life Sciences
Mathematical Modeling of Biological Systems: Epidemiology, Evolution and Ecology,Immunology, Neural Systems and the Brain, and Innovative Mathematical Methods
Mathematical Modeling of Biological Systems: Cellular Biophysics, Regulatory Networks, Development, Biomedicine, and Data Analysis
Mathematical Modeling of Complex Biological Systems
Mathematics for Ecology and Environmental Sciences
Mathematics for Life Science and Medicine
Modeling Complex Living Systems
Modelling, Analysis and Optimization of Biosystems
Genomics of Tropical Crop Plants (Plant Genetics and Genomics: Crops and Models,v.1)
Secondary Metabolites in Soil Ecology (Soil Biology, v.14)
Human Exploitation and Biodiversity Conservation (Topics in Biodiversity and Conservation, v.3)
Single-Cell-Based Models in Biology and Medicine
Statistical Genetics of Quantitative Traits
Statistical Methods for Biostatistics and Related Fields
Statistical Methods in Bioinformatics
Statistical Methods in Molecular Evolution
Systems Biology: International Research and Development
Actin-Binding Proteins and Disease (Protein Reviews, v.8)
Forest Entomology in West Tropical Africa: Forests Insects of Ghana
The Golden Mouse: Ecology and Conservation
Bio-mechanisms of Swimming and Flying: Fluid Dynamics, Biomimetic Robots, and Sports Science
Rice Biology in the Genomics Era(Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry, v.62)
Ecology of Baltic Coastal Waters (Ecological Studies, v.197)
RNA Editing (Nucleic Acids and Molecular Biology, v.20)
Crystalline Cellulose and Derivatives: Characterization and Structures (Springer Series in Wood Science)
Solanaceae and Convolvulaceae: Secondary Metabolites: Biosynthesis, Chemotaxonomy, Biological and Economic Significance (A Handbook)
Applied Bioinformatics:An Introduction
Nitrogen-fixing Leguminous Symbioses (Nitrogen Fixation: Origins, Applications, and Research Progress, v.7)
Skeletal Muscle Repair and Regeneration (Advances in Muscle Research, v.3)
The Cell Cycle in the Central Nervous System
Hydrogenosomes and Mitosomes: Mitochondria of Anaerobic Eukaryotes (Microbiology Monographs, v. 9)
Principles and methods in landscape ecology: Toward a Science of Landscape (Landscape Series, v.3)
From Biological Control to Invasion: the Ladybird Harmonia axyridis as a Model Species
Theory and Mathematical Methods for Bioformatics
Sulfur Assimilation and Abiotic Stress in Plants
Gradients in a Tropical Mountain Ecosystem of Ecuador (Ecological Studies, v.198)
Paleomicrobiology: Past Human Infections
Stress-Activated Protein Kinases (Topics in Current Genetics, v.20)
Model Based Inference in the Life Sciences: A Primer on Evidence
Nuclear Dynamics: Molecular Biology and Visualization of the Nucleus
Semaphorins: Receptor and Intracellular Signaling Mechanisms (Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, v.600)
Biosphere Origin and Evolution
Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology: Volume Two The Proteobacteria Part B The Gammaproteobacteria, 2nd ed
Print books - For more information on many of these books, please search the Catalog by title, keywords or author.
January 4, 2008 - January 11, 2008 Babies by design : the ethics of genetic choice. Green, Ronald Michael. RB155 .G74 2007 Current topics in microbiology and immunology. QR1 .E6 318 - Advances in multiple sclerosis... Current topics in microbiology and immunology. QR1 .E6 319 - Specialization and complementation... Ecology of browsing and grazing. SF85 .E26 2008 Genome sequencing technology and algorithms. QH447 .G4824 2008 Inhibitory regulation of excitatory neurotransmission. QH607 .R4 44 Primer of genetic analysis : a problems approach . QH440.3 .T48 2007 Timber rattlesnakes in Vermont and New York... Furman, Jon. QL666.O69 F87 2007 January 11, 2008 - January 18, 2008 Eoornis pterovelox gobiensis : a monograph. Fotheringham, Augustus C. QL89 .F68 1928a Essays in biochemistry. - Oxygen sensing and hypoxia-induced responses. QH345 .E8 v.43 (2007) Modelling for field biologists and other... Kokko, Hanna. QH541.15.M3 K65 2007 Sewall Wright taught me. Sloan, Robert E. QH307.2 .S56 2007 1 - Evolution Sewall Wright taught me. Sloan, Robert E. QH307.2 .S56 2007 2 - Genetics Sewall Wright taught me. Sloan, Robert E. QH307.2 .S56 2007 3 - Physiological genetics Short history of nearly everything. Bryson, Bill. Q162 .B88 2003 C.2 Vander's human physiology : the mechanisms... Widmaier, Eric P. QP34.5 .V36 2008 January 18, 2008 - January 25, 2008 Annual review of ecology, evolution, and systematics. Review serial v.38 (2007) Enhancing evolution : the ethical case for... Harris, John, QH442 .H37 2007 Life decoded : my genome, my life. Venter, J. Craig. QH31.V385 A3 2007 Regular contact with anyone interested :... QH380 .R45 2007 Western North American Juniperus communities... QK494.5.C975 W47 2008 January 25, 2008 - February 1, 2008 Advances in insect physiology. Review serial v.34 (2008) Annual review of entomology. Review serial v.53 Annual review of genetics. Review serial v.41 (2007) iGenetics : a Mendelian approach. Russell, Peter J. QH430 .R876 2006 Major transitions in vertebrate evolution. QL607.5 .M348 2007 Molecular biology of the cell. Reference edition QH581.2 .M64 2008 Natural security : a Darwinian approach to a dangerous... QH546 .N38 2008 Structural and evolutionary genomics... Bernardi, Giorgio. QD415 .N48 37
This monthly Biology Library New Books List and News is distributed in a blog and via email. If you would like to be added to the email distribution list, contact Ruth Lewis (phone 935-4819, email email@example.com)
Subject Guide: Life Sciences [ http://library.wustl.edu/subjects/life ]