Life Sciences (including Medicine)
|Subject librarian: Ruth Lewis
Please call or email for appointment
|Email (remove spaces): rlewis @
Phone: (314) 935-4819
|Biology Research Guide | Biology Library News: Blog or Old format|
Journal Indexes & more
Top Databases Medical/Safety Databases
& other fulltext sources
How to Find & Use...
Guides, Pathfinders, & other aids
|Education, Training & Teaching||
WU Biology Department
Publications of faculty, postdocs & students
Some Senior Honors Theses, 2000-2010
Some Senior Honors Theses, 2011+ [WU only]
Some Senior Honors Theses, 2012+ [open access]
Selected Biology Faculty Publications in Open Scholarship
Biology Library history
Viktor Hamburger Virtual Exhibit
Medicine & Health
and Toxic & Hazardous Substances
Selected Web Sites
Arranged by DBBS Program
Selected General Web Sites
- All that JAS: Journal Abbreviation Sources, List of All Journals included in PubMed OR PubMed Journal Database, Journals Indexed in AGRICOLA, ISI Master Journal List (Web of Science and others), CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool (Chemistry), Journal Abbreviation Resources on the Web (from UIUC library)
- Often Databases list only abbreviations for journal titles and you usually need full titles to find the journal in our catalog and on our shelves.
- Style guides: Citing medicine: the NLM style guide for authors, editors, and publishers | Scientific style and format : the CSE manual for authors, editors, and publishers | Reference Sources: Style Manuals | Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed [limited to 25 concurrent users] | AMA manual of style : a guide for authors and editors, 10th ed, 2007 (Quick Reference Citation Format for AMA Manual of Style, 10th ed, 2007) | Publications Handbook and Style Manual (American Society of Agronomy (ASA), Crop Science Society of America (CSSA), and Soil Science Society of America (SSSA))
- Biology Data Books v.1-3 (2nd Ed., 1972-1974) Edited by: Altman, Philip L.; Dittmer, Dorothy S. Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (Knovel) This book has been compiled to present numerical data of biology and medicine in a convenient and accessible form for reference, and to standardize accepted constants as a basis for correlation, establish common standards for statistical studies, and provide normal values for research. Also available in print
- Amazing Numbers in Biology Zoology, botany, microbiology, human biology and comparative biology collected data in referenced tables
- Handbook of Chemistry and Physics [most recent edition]
- Encyclopedia of Genetics, Genomics, Proteomics and Informatics, 3rd ed. 2008
- Merck Index, An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs, and Biologicals, 14th ed. (2006) now available and searchable through Knovel Library. Older editions are available in print; library has 12th ed, 1996.
- Biology Dictionaries
- Book Information -- Biology
- Includes book publisher sites, WorldCatalog, selected Library Catalogs, some online bookstores, other databases
- Finding People, especially Life Scientists
- Selected Search Tools & Databases
- Internet, images, encyclopedias, etc.
- Biological Reagents, Vendors, Protocols, Methods
- Encyclopedia of Life - species information from many sources; still in development but some sample pages are available.
- Guide to Internet Resources for Biological Taxonomy & Classification
- Highlighting resources for another college but most links are useful here.
- Classification of Living Things
- Tutorial/introduction to the principles of taxonomy with a focus on human classification categories, by Dennis O'Neil, Palomar College, San Marcos, California.
- Guide to the Animal Kingdom for Students and Educators
- from BIOSIS.
- Discover Life
- Checklists, identification guides (IDNature Guides), links, etc., from the Polistes Foundation with several other partners.
- Encyclopedia of medical devices & instrumentation
- Wiley encyclopedia of biomedical engineering
- Encyclopedia of Entomology
- Career and Job Information
- Genetics, Genomics, Molecular Biology, Computational Biology
- Biology Browser
- Produced by BIOSIS, is a free web site offering resources for the life sciences information community.
- The Biology Project
- An interactive online resource for learning biology, developed at The University of Arizona.
- Missouri Botanical Garden
- Includes Tropicos, information about Missouri Botanical Garden Library and access to Missouri Botanical Garden Library catalog.
- MIT Open CourseWare: Biology
- Course materials, such as lecture notes, in several biology classes are freely available. With MIT OpenCourseWare, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology plans to make course materials for nearly all its undergraduate and graduate subjects available online.
- National Agricultural Library
- National Library of Medicine
- Natural History Reference Sources
- Nice list of links compiles by Adam Schiff, Univ. of Washington.
- NatureServe, a network connecting science with conservation
- NetVet Veterinary Resources, featuring the Electronic Zoo
- Online Biology Book
- A freshman biology hypertextbook by Dr. Michael J. Farabee
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- Species 2000
- "Species 2000 has the objective of enumerating all known species of plants, animals, fungi and microbes on Earth as the baseline dataset for studies of global biodiversity."
- Tree of Life
- WWW Virtual Library. Biosciences
- Moved from Harvard Univ. although their page is still useful: Biology Links from Harvard Univ., Dept of Molecular and Cellular Biology.