Link to top Life
- Biology-Online Editable Wiki Dictionary
- Scientific and
Technical Acronyms, Symbols and Abbreviations
- From Wiley Interscience.
Acronyms related to Biological Informatics and
- Lists from Inter-American Biodiversity Information Network
plus many links to other biology glossaries and
- Agriculture Glossaries and Agriculture Dictionaries at glossarist.com
- biotechterms.org; Glossary of
- Online version of Glossary of Biotechnology Terms, 2nd
ed, by Kimball R. Nill, with updates added by the author. Note:
Olin Library has the
Educational Resource 2can Glossary
- From European Bioinformatics Institute.
- From Missouri Botanical Garden Tropicos; includes French,
German and Spanish translations.
- Buzz Words: A
Glossary of Minibeast Terms
- from Young Entomologists Society
- Chemical synonyms, structures, regulatory list information,
and links to other databases containing information about the
- Combined Chemical Dictionary (CCD) [ChemNetBase], consisting of:
- Dictionary of Agricultural and Environmental Science (2003) Knovel
- Dictionary of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2nd ed (1989) Knovel
- FAO Glossary of Biotechnology for Food and Agriculture
- from Food and Agriculture Organization of the United
Finding the Right Word: A guide to some useful online
glossaries - Functional Genomics Resources
- Links compiled at the Science Magazine site.
Forestry terminology: a glossary of technical terms used in
- Fully searchable online book, originally published by the
Society of American Foresters in 1944.
- GardenWeb Glossary of
- from Primer of Molecular Genetics (Dept. of Energy). Also
includes a Human
Genome Acronyms list.
- Glossaries of Human
Genetics/Genome Project Terms
- from Univ. of Kansas Medical Center Genetics Education
- Glossary of
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, rev. ed.
- based of the Portland Press book by David M. Glick; also print
- Glossary of Biotechnology and Nanobiotechnology Terms, Fourth Edition (CRCnetbase)
Hortus; a concise dictionary of gardening, general horticulture
and cultivated plants in North America (1930) by L.H. Bailey
& E.Z. Bailey
- Full text, fully searchable, from Cornell University, Core
Historical Literature of Agriculture; Hortus
Second and Hortus
Third editions available in print.
Glossary of Genetic Terms
- by B. Schlindwein at Weihenstephan Information &
- Illustrated Glossary of Plant Pathology - from American Phytopathological Society.
Compendium of Chemical Terminology
- Compiled by the Royal Society of Chemistry; corrected version
- Not precisely a dictionary, but many definitions and
mini-essays on biological topics, arranged alphabetically. Many
include very nice illustrations.
- Stedman's Medical Dictionary
- WU use only, access from Becker Medical Library Stat!Ref.
- Over 70,000 medical, pharmaceutical, biomedical &
healthcare acronyms and abbreviations.
- Medical Dictionary on MedlinePlus.
- Merck Index, An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs, and Biologicals, 14th ed. (2006) now available and searchable through Knovel Library. Older editions are available in print; biology library has 12th ed, 1996.
- MeSH is a vocabulary of medical and scientific terms assigned
to documents in PubMed by a team of experts. This browser gives
definitions as well as hierarchical arrangements of related,
broader and narrower terms. These terms can be used in many cases
to search PubMed
more efficiently than simple text words.
Glossary of technical and popular medical terms in nine European
- Use "Speed Search" for words or word parts
Glossary for Zoology (from BIOSIS)
- Full-text. Contains about 100 dictionary, language reference,
and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press.
FIVE concurrent users; click Log out when finished More
Dictionary of Biology
Dictionary of Ecology
Dictionary of Genetics, 7th ed.
Dictionary of Plant Sciences
Dictionary of Scientists
Dictionary of Statistics, 2nd ed.
Dictionary of Zoology
Encylopedia of Mammals, 3rd ed. "covers the behaviour, diet, distribution, and evolution of every known living mammal in the world;" some entries include photos and drawings
Concise Medical Dictionary
New Encyclopedia of Birds
Encyclopedia of Underwater Life
Dictionary of Environment and Conservation (2007)
All titles included in Oxford Reference Online
- Online Dictionary of Invertebrate Zoology, by Armand R. Maggenti (2005)
Glossary of Technical Terms in Plant Pathology
- edited by Phil A. Arneson at Cornell University.
- Published at the Dept. of Medical Oncology, University of
Newcastle upon Tyne
- Statistics Glossaries: by David M.
Lane or by
Philip B. Stark.
Agriculture Definitions and Terms
- National Agricultural Library, Special Reference Briefs
Series no. SRB 99-02; September 1999. Compiled by: Mary V.
- Talking Glossary of
- from National Human Genome Research Institute.
- Terms of
- from EPA, included acronyms and abbreviations as well as
definitions of terms related to the environment
Collection Online Dictionaries try the Special Language
- Glossaries arranged by subjects such as Agriculture, Biology,
Chemistry, Forestry, Medicine, etc. From Dept. of Communication
Studies, Univ. of Vaasa, Finland.
- Entries for popular and scientific plant names.
(Univ. of California Museum of Paleontology) Glossary
- Includes separate lists for Phylogenetics,
- from Nevada Division of Water Planning
- Who Named
- Biographical dictionary of medical eponyms; includes
information about diseases and about the people they are named
- Wikipedia's List of Medical Abbreviations
- Onelook, the
- Searches multiple dictionaries and glossaries including
several in science and technology.
- Oxford Language Dictionaries Online - French-English; English-French; German-English; English-German; Italian-English; English-Italian; Spanish-English; English-Spanish; more soon. 3 concurrent users allowed, please logoff. More info.
Dictionaries & Translators