Link to top Life
or top DBBS resources
Database (UM/BBD) (from University of Minnesota)
- contains "microbial biocatalytic reactions and biodegradation
pathways primarily for xenobiotic, chemical compounds."
- Companion website to Biochemistry,
3rd ed, by Mathews, Van Holde and Ahern, Addison Wesley,
- Biological Biochemical
- "Searchable database of images of putative biological
pathways, macromolecular structures, gene families, and cellular
relationships. It is of use to those who are working with large
sets of genes or proteins using cDNA arrays, functional genomics,
or proteomics;" maintained by the National Institute on
- BMRB :
- Depository for NMR results from peptides, proteins, and
nucleic acids recognized by the International Society of Magnetic
Resonance and by the IUPAC-IUBMB-IUPAB Inter-Union Task Group on
the Standardization of Data Bases of Protein and Nucleic Acid
Structures Determined by NMR Spectroscopy; from Univ. of
Wisconsin-Madison, Dept. of Biochemistry.
- BRENDA, the
comprehensive enzyme information system
- For academic, non-profit use only; data extracted from the
primary literature maintained and developed at the institute of
Biochemistry at the University of Cologne.
Chemistry and Glycobiology: A Web Tour
- A companion to Science,
March 23, 2001 (v.291, issue 5512)
- Freely available data derived from small molecules and small-molecule screens; from the informatics group at the Institute for Chemistry and
Cell Biology at Harvard Medical School
- Databases and Tools for 3-D Protein Structure Comparison and Alignment
- Compare the structure of over 7,900 publicly available
protein structures to each other; from San Diego Supercomputer
- Features medicinal and biochemical molecules, macromolecules,
and others. From Reciprocalnet, a distributed crystallography
network for researchers, students, and the general public.
- ENZYME: Enzyme
- based mainly on recommendations by the Nomenclature Committee
of the International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
(IUBMB) and provided by the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics. Older
data is in books with supplements at
Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- ExPASy Proteomics
- from the Weizmann Institute of Science (WIS) Genome Center,
ExPASy Proteomics Tools is a comprehensive collection of
protein-related databases and services.
- IMB Jena Image
Library of Biological Macromolecules
- from the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology
- Metabolic Pathways of
- Database of Comparative Protein Structure Models.
- Protein Data Bank
- from Research Collaboratory for Structural Bioinformatics
- Protein Explorer
- from UCSD-San Diego Supercomputer Center and University of Massachusetts; geared towards those with a background in or who are currently studying proteins; "for visualizing the three-dimensional structures of protein, DNA, and RNA macromolecules, and their interactions and binding of ligands, inhibitors, and drugs."
- Protein Reviews
on the Web
- Authoritative short, structured reviews on proteins and
- Proteopedia - structural and biological knowledge about proteins, RNA, DNA, and their assemblies and interacting small molecules; relevant and accessible to scientists of all the biological and chemical fields.
- from Indiana Univ. School of Medicine
- UniProt, Universal Protein Resource