Biology Journal Indexes & DatabasesLink to top Life Sciences page
Need help starting work on your term paper? Not sure which database to use? Try this short list!
- Academic Search Premier, approx. 1975+ (varies by source)
- Scholarly, multi-disciplinary database containing full text for more than 4,650 publications, including more than 3,600 peer-reviewed publications. In addition to the full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for all 8,183 journals in the collection. More info
- AGRICOLA (NAL) primarily 1970+, but contains some citations from 15th century +
- Covers articles/book chapters in agriculture and related sciences. More info
- AGRIS (1975-present)
- Covers all aspects of agriculture; international in scope. More info.
- Anthropology Plus (19th century-present)
- Contains both Anthropological Literature from Harvard University and Anthropological Index, Royal Anthropological Institute, UK. Citations to articles and essays in anthropology and archaeology, from works published in En glish and other European languages.More info
- Applied Science and Technology Full Text
- Journal index of more than 485 core English-language scientific and technical publications. Topics include engineering, acoustics, chemistry, computers, metallurgy, physics, plastics, telecommunications, transportation, and waste management; includes full text coverage of more than 98 periodicals from January 1997. Full text coverage includes American Scientist, Journal of Environmental Quality and Scientific American (from 1/1998+). More info.
- ArticleFirst (OCLC)
- Nearly 12,500 journals in science, technology, medicine, social science, business, the humanities, and popular culture. 1990 to the present. Updated daily. More info
- BELIT Bioethics Literature Database
- Covers bioethics worldwide including monographs, grey literature, legal documents, journal articles, newspaper articles and book contributions. More info
- Bibliography of Genetic Variation in Natural Populations
- Searchable citations and abstracts compiled by Fred Allendorf, Univ. of Montana. Covers last 25 years.
- BioLIS, Biologische Literatur-Information Senckenberg
- Covers 1970-1996; databank of biological article citations from German, Swiss, and Austrian publications; many of the articles are in English.
- Bioone Abstracts and Indexes
- Covers 1998-present. Electronic journal articles from Bioone and other biology journal citations. More info.
- Biosafety Database
- Covers 1990-present. Records extracts from CAB International Database on biosafety and risk assessment in biotechnology, especially on the environmental release of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs). More info.
- Birds of North America Online
- Species accounts from 1992-2002 paper set plus many revisions and new accounts, and audio and video galleries for many species. From the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and the American Ornithologists' Union.
- Book Information - Biology - Don't forget to search for dissertations and monographs when you are doing a literature search.
- Current Protocols
- Science research methods and protocols. The Washington University Libraries and Becker Medical Library currently subscribe to several titles which can be searched all at once or separately. More info.
- Covers 1960-present. Citations to literature on bioethics and professional ethics. More info.
- Faculty of 1000 Biology
- Current awareness, 2001+. Recommendations about new papers in all areas of biology. More info.
- Free Journal Indexes and Databases
- Covers 1960-present. Citations to literature on ethics and public policy issues in genetics. More info.
- GPO Metalib
- Web gateway to more than 50 government sites; subject groups, such as, Environment, Agriculture, Health + Safety, General, Science + Technology, are available under "Expert Search." More info.
- Information covering all aspects of human impact on the environment. Indexes scholarly, government and general-interest titles. More info.
- Health & Wellness Resource Center, 4 years plus current year
- Bibliographic references, abstracts and full text for excerpts and articles from a variety of health publications. Material includes a medical dictionary; medical directories and reference books; consumer-oriented and professional health periodicals; and pamphlets issued by leading health organizations. The periodical material is augmented by specially selected health articles from general-interest, business and specialty publications. More info.
- History of Science, Technology, and Medicine, 1975+
- Describes journal articles, conference proceedings, books, book reviews, and dissertations in the history of science, technology, and medicine and allied historical fields.
- Image databases
- Index to American Botanical Literature or go directly to Search the IABL
- Late 1995+; from the New York Botanical Garden; entries deal with various aspects of extant and fossil American plants and fungi, including systematics (traditional and molecular), floristics, morphology, and ecology, as well as economic botany and general botany. More info.
- Internet search databases: Selected Search Pages - Biology/Medicine
- Kew Bibliographic Databases
- Searchable references to all publications relating to the taxonomy of flowering plants, gymnosperms and ferns, plant micromorphology, and economic botany. Individual registration requested. More info.
- Medical Journal Indexes and Databases
- Medline / PubMed OR Medline (OCLC)
- Covers 1946-present (PubMed version). More info
- MInd: the Meetings Index
- Future and past conferences, congresses, meetings and symposia, browsable and keyword searchable. Arranged in 4 categories: Science/Technology, Medical/Life Sciences, Pollution Control/Ecology, and Social Sciences/Humanities.
- Natural Product Updates
- Covers 2000+. Searchable database on isolation studies, biosynthesis, new compounds and known compounds from new sources, structure determinations, and new properties. More info.
- Covers 1964-present. Publications and products available from the National Technical Information Service. This is a free site; no full-text available.More info.
- NTIS/NTRL (National Technical Reports Library)
- 'The National Technical Information Service acquires, indexes, abstracts, and archives the largest collection of U.S. government-sponsored technical reports in existence. The NTRL offers access to these authenticated government technical reports to libraries and technical information users.' This is a subscription site that includes indexing for 2 million+ titles with links to over 600,000 full-text reports (in PDF). More info.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Animals, a database of genes, inherited disorders and traits in animal species (other than human and mouse)
- Ornithological Worldwide Literature (OWL)
- Searchable compilation of citations and abstracts from the worldwide scientific literature that pertain to the science of ornithology; this will eventually go back up to 50 years; currently it covers approx. 1997+.More info.
- Ovid Online
- Password required, or, ask library staff to get you into this system. Consists of full text of several biomedical journals and journal article databases, including Medline, Health & Psychosocial Instruments. More info
- Patent Lens (BIOS)
- Full text, patents relevant to life sciences from worldwide sources. Additional patent search sources. More info.
- Phytochemical & Ethnobotanical Databases (Dr. Duke's), from ARS/USDA
- Plant Information Online - current sources in North American nurseries for plants, citations to current plant science literature, and listings for North American seed and nursery firms; freely available.
- Plant Management Network (PMN) Extension Publication Search Enginer
- Centralized access to important agricultural publications.
- Plant Management Network (PMN) Journal Search
- Journal index. Searches several journals at one time: Agronomy Journal, Applied Turfgrass Science, Crop Management, Crop Science, Forage and Grazinglands, Journal of Economic Entomology, Journal of Environmental Quality, Phytopathology, Plant Disease, Plant Health Progress, Weed Science, Weed Technology. Note: we do not have fulltext access to most of these titles through the publisher links but this may be a useful search tool for you anyway.
- PrimateLit (1940-2010)
- Journal index. Provides indexing from books and journals and other scientific literature about nonhuman primates. More info
- PubMed Retrieval System; also known as Entrez Medline
- Includes the entire Medline database (1946+) PLUS PreMedline (recent articles that are not yet fully indexed for Medline) and links to publisher full-text web sites and other databases. More info
- Chemists will be the primary user group for structure searching, but text and author searching is also available. Combined data from three sources: The Beilstein Database, The Gmelin Database, and The Patent Chemistry Database. Including searching by reaction, substance, and/or numeric property data. Coverage is journals 1771+, patents 1869+.
- SciFinder Web (1907-) [individual registration required]
- CA [Chemical Abstracts, journal and patent references], CA Registry File, CA Reactions File, and Medline. More info about web version.
- 'SciVerse Scopus is the world’s largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature.' It contains over 46 million records, 70% with abstracts, and also includes over 4.6 million conference papers. It offers sophisticated tools to track, analyze and visualize research.
- Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research
- "A monthly multijournal compilation of the latest research on biological physics" from the American Institute of Physics and the American Physical Society; v.1, 2000+; full text of cites linked when we have access at WU.
- Web of Science
- available on WU campus only; Includes Science Citation Index Plus, Social Sciences Citation Index and Arts & Humanities Citation Index; science & social science source documents from 1970+; cited references can go back much farther of course. More info.
- In paper:
Abstracts of Bacteriology, 1917-1925
Biological Abstracts, paper and microfiche, 1926-1995
Bioresearch Titles, Bioresearch Index and Biological Abstracts RRM, 1965-1995
Biological and Agricultural Index, 1965-1994
Botanical Abstracts, 1919-1926
Catalogue of Scientific Papers, 1800-1900 (Royal Society of Great Britain)
Ecology Abstracts, 1980-1998
Index of Fungi, 1920+
International Catalogue of Scientific Literature, 1901-1914
Photosynthesis Bibliography, 1966-1988
Review of Applied Mycology and Review of Plant Pathology, 1923-1993
Wildlife Abstracts and Wildlife Review, 1935-1995
Zoological Record, 1870-1932, 1959-1995