LUNA Insight Feature Tour
LUNA Insight Online Help
How to Download and Print LUNA Images
How to Access LUNA at Washington University - Windows and Mac
1) Begin by downloading the Windows Java Client here - necessary for all first-time users
Mac users will need to follow the instructions to install the OSX Java Client
2) Launch the java client application to open the grey authentication window and log onto the luna server
3) Enter the username/password lunapublic/public and select logon
4) Select collection(s) to search
Some Ways to use LUNA Insight in Teaching:
Example Search ~ Searching by Data Fields:
1) Select a data field
2) Select relation "equals"
3) Select list or enter the first few letters
4) Select search, use Shift + left click to select all fields
Refining the Search:
1) Select new search
2) Select broaden search or narrow search
3) Combine with another data field
Exporting Images to your computer:
1) Single-click to select one or more images -a white outline appears around each selected thumbnail image
2) Select file, export selected
3) Choose resolution ( recommended resolution for Powerpoint: 1,563 pixels )
Note: The user may define a name & directory for each image export or specify a data field as the automatic file name for all.
Using the Image Workspace / Digital Lightbox
To move images from the Group Window into the Image Workspace:
1) Select multiple images from the search results by clicking once on each thumbnail image
2) When ready to move into the Image workspace, hold down the shift key while double-clicking on one of the selected thumbnail images to move all selections into the Image Workspace
David Rumsey Map Collection
Image Workspace Toolbar Functions
All toolbar functions may be invoked using keyboard commands:
A = Arrow
Z = Zoom
U = Unzoom (zoom out)
S = Scroll/Pan
M = Maximize
T = Minimize
D = Data
R = Return
X = Close
P = Print
H = Help
Spacebar = Execute last action
To Close All Images in the Image Workspace:
Hold down the shift key and then select the X key
Creating a Group: Before a presentation can be created, a group must first be made and saved.
1) Create a New Group
Create a new Group when you want to save and come back to selections of images or share them with others. Also, creating a Group is a first step in using Insight’s Presentation feature. Images may be copied from one or more collections into the same group. Images can be copied from one group to another group. Groups can be saved to folders on your computer, and groups can be saved to folders that you share with other users who may be located anywhere on the Internet.
Before you can create a Group, you must log in and open an Insight collection.
From the File menu option, click on new group.
2) Copying Images into a Group
Select (click on) one or more thumbnail images in an open collection or an open Group. Selected images in the collection window will have a highlighted border.
Press the mouse button down over any (one) highlighted image, and drag and drop it into the new Group window. You will see a thumbnail outline as you drag from one window to the other. If multiple images in the collection are selected, all of them will be copied to the new Group. Drag and drop selected images into the New Image Group.
3) Save your Group
Name your group and designate where the saved group will reside - on a local computer or to the collection's group space, if applicable.
Creating a Presentation:
1) Select file, open group, select your group
2) From the sidebar menu, select group,create presentation
3) The image workspace will open. At this point, the image order, annotations, copies & details can be made. Name the presentation, save it, then close.
For directions on Linking, Cropping, and Annotating images, consult the
LUNA Online Support Guide ~ Create an Advanced Presentation
Editing a Presentation:
1) Go to the main menu and select Group. select the presentation that you would like to edit in the Group Window by single clicking on it, then select, Edit Presentation. The presentation will now open and you can make changes.
2) Then, when your edits are complete, Save the presentation.
When you save the edits you can either give your changes a new name (essentially creating a new presentation), or save the presentation you are editing by the same name as before. If you save the old presentation with the same name, you will be asked if you would like to replace the old presentation. If you do wish to replace the old presentation, then save the presentation that you edited as the same name it had before. If you do not wish to replace the old presentation, then give it a new name. Now the edited presentation will be saved.
Exporting a Presentation:
1) Select file, export presentation as HTML, Keynote (Mac) or PowerPoint (recommended resolution 1024 x 768)
2) When the file export is complete, there is an option to test your presentation in the selected format
NOTE: Keynote or Powerpoint must be loaded on your computer for the test presentation to work