Honor with Books: A Gift with a Future
Libraries house, protect, and promote the record of human endeavor. At a highly ranked institution like Washington University, the University Libraries must keep their collections strong in many subject areas in order to attract and serve outstanding faculty, students, and visiting scholars. Washington University Libraries' Honor with Books program is a substantive and lasting way to celebrate a graduation, anniversary, or birthday . . . or to memorialize someone.
How Honor with Books Works
For as little as $50, you can honor a family member, friend, colleague, teacher, or other person of your choice. Each $50 increment funds the acquisition of one new book, selected by a Washington University librarian. The names of the honoree and donor will be inscribed on a bookplate inside the book's front cover, and will appear in the book's online catalog entry.
Gifts of all sizes make a difference, and both the donor and the Libraries benefit:
- $50-$99 purchases one new book.
- $100-$999 purchases additional books (1 book for each $50) and gives the donor a one-year membership in the University Libraries' Century Club, which provides library borrowing privileges, invitations to library events, and other benefits.
- $1,000 purchases 20 books and carries a one-year membership in the William Greenleaf Eliot Society. The donor gains additional benefits, including a WU parking sticker, access to the athletic complex, an invitation to join the Whittemore House, reserve seating at Assembly Series lectures, and more.
- Larger gifts can be targeted for the purchase of selected collections or manuscripts for the Libraries' Special Collections Department.
- All gifts are tax-deductible.
- Notification of gifts can be sent to the honoree or the honoree's family.
A Program with a Future
Honor with Books is a thoughtful and convenient way to honor others. Donors will receive print and/or email notifications of library lectures, readings, exhibitions, major acquisitions, and other developments or activities at the University Libraries. Perhaps most important, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you are helping build and maintain the collection of one of the major academic libraries in the country.
Make Your Gift
To make your gift, use this form. Print it out and follow the directions you'll find there. If you prefer to have an Honor with Books brochure (complete with response form) mailed to you, call the Director of Development for University Libraries, Daniel Miller, at 314-935-7128 or email him at Daniel_Miller@wustl.edu.