WU Libraries Vision, Mission, & Goals
We envision a library...
- Responsive to the diverse needs and expectations of the University community with users at the center of all that the library does
- Inviting, comfortable, accessible, and safe for all
- Rich in resources and collections both within and beyond the walls of the library
- Joining with others to develop collaborative and innovative teaching, learning, and research environments.
- The mission of the Washington University Libraries is to support learning, teaching, research and creative expression at the University by providing timely and effective access to information for the broad University Community.
Goal #1: To assist users to find and use information resources effectively and to acquire the skills needed for a life of independent learning and personal growth.
Goal #2: To seek input from and respond to users as part of our continuing efforts to evaluate and improve services, collections and programs.
Goal #3: To build and preserve collections which support teaching, learning, research, and creative expression.
Goal #4: To provide and maintain effective, easy-to-use catalogs, guides and electronic gateways to resources, both local and remote.
Goal #5: To provide the technological and other tools necessary to support and enhance library programs and services.
Goal #6: To preserve and provide access to unique and archival research materials which contribute to national and international scholarship.
Goal #7: To recruit and develop a creative, flexible staff with the expertise needed to anticipate and meet the diverse information needs of the University community.
Goal #8: To provide accessible, inviting library facilities which encourage individual and group inquiry.
Goal #9: To collaborate with other members of the Washington University community to identify, develop and support University programs and initiatives.
Goal #10: To secure and allocate funding to support library programs and initiatives.
Goal #11: To collaborate with other institutions as a cost-effective means to expanding the resources and services available to our community of users.